Been liked: 843 times

Re: 75mm traverse

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Chris Hall wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Other solutions may be available ........... :wink:

Chris
Chris I like it!

If I'd realized the issue with the assembly ( note carefully artful skirting of names!) when I was assembling the model I likely would have
chosen a solution such as you two came up with or my original thought of 'building in' a bearing such as I have on some of my other models:

bearing ball groove
Corresponding gear with bearing groove

I wouldn't have used a internal gear as part of the 'bearing sandwich' for the M3 but just another plate with a groove. The photos I've inserted links for were for the turret drive of my 1/10 King Tiger to illustrate the idea.

Since I had the upper hull already built and painted I opted not to disassemble it and make new holes required to mount a lower support. In other words
I didn't want to scratch the paint! However I believe your solution is the better way to go if one is at an earlier stage of construction.

John I've used those servo delay gadgets, in fact I have some. When I made the video I used another receiver and radio with just the basic functionality to test; not the radio I'm actually using for the model. With that proper radio I'm planning to use a pot to control the 75mm and for that channel's output I can define the rate to be a different curve to prevent the jerkiness seen in the video. I thought the same as you probably were: the movement is not heavy gun-like and far too jerky to purpose. "In production" it shouldn't be that way...

Wonderful to see and hear of other ways to do things, I learn something new every day!

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Re: 75mm traverse

Post by Chris Hall »

I think a ‘Lazy Susan’ / bearing / [insert preferred term here :lol:] is the ideal solution. But that would have needed to be part of the original design. I don’t imagine it could be retro-fitted without major work, which would certainly scratch the paint :wink:. So we’re left with bodging our way around the issue.

But, as long as it works in the end, it’s all good. And, as Jerry says, we all learn from the ‘groupthink’.

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)