Charging Batteries.

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
keithbraun
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 11 times

Charging Batteries.

Post by keithbraun »

I'm using a pair of Yuasa 12v 22Ah batteries on my Stug. I've read on the forum that charging them together is not an efficient way to go about things and it is advised to charge them individually. I do not want to dismantle my tank every time I charge. I thought of fitting a switch on the battery link lead thus making two 12v batteries, when in the 'off' position, can anyone see a problem with this?. Also, can anyone offer me any ideas on how to fabricate and install a charging point? The Stug has four large engine hatches so finding a place to install a charging point should not be a problem. My thanks in advance.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: Charging Batteries.

Post by Mark Heaps »

Charging the batteries individually is always better. But you need to ensure they are electrically isolated when doing so.
No need to dismantle the vehicle and remove the batteries
Simple problem to solve.
What charger are you using ?
Whilst having the switch on the battery link lead would work, I would not recommend it.
Best to have the isolation switch between battery output and electronic modules.

keithbraun
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by keithbraun »

Hi, I'm using a Ctek MXS charger. I was thinking of making a 'charging' point under one of the engine hatches. It would be awkward to attempt to charge directly. Both battery terminals are under the main gun area and I wanted to avoid removing any of the upper hull. I'm sure that I've seen some examples of charging points using 'jack-plugs' but I have not been able to find anything that could be up to the job. Also, where are people buying electrical components? I'm sure there was a retail chain that used to do that sort of thing.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning Keith, for me simple is as simple does. I charge each battery separately and individually. I run two leads from each battery....positive and negative, then disconnect between batteries using E5 connectors. The connectors are accessed beneath the commanders hatch. I still disconnect the batteries when not in use, although I recall Adrian saying this is not now needed with the Red boxes. If you have the knowledge there are better ways and tidier.....It works for me....Mick

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

I also use a Ctek MXS. Comes with one quick-disconnect for battery charging but you can go on to their web-site & order more, they are not expensive. One quick-disconnect connected to each battery and routed to where you can get to them.
Added bonus, if your car battery runs flat, connect the croc-clips to the Ctek and recharge it.
At the last Hausen am Bach meeting before Covid hit, I think the vast majority of us were using CTeks.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

For charging of two 12 V batteries that are wired in line it is not necessary to use switches or circuit breakers. I use simple banana sockets and plugs to connect the charger, first at one 12 V battery and then at the other. For that I use 3 sockets at 0 V, 12 V and 24 V.

This is the control board of my Jagdtiger (under construction). The black socket is 0 V, the green is 12 V and the red is 24 V. Charging between black an green hits the first battery, charging between green and red hits the second one.

Meanwhile the lead acids are replaced by 8 single LiFePO4 cells. The green socket is no longer used; a 9 pin socket was added for balancing.
kind regards
Gerhard