Lack of drive when on the floor

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Tony Heaps
Been liked: 5 times

Lack of drive when on the floor

Post by Tony Heaps »

I have mostly finished the assembly of the Rolls Royce Armored car and bench tested , all OK , when the model us on blcoks to support the wheels off the ground the drive works fine using the radio control but as soon as I put the model on the floor I have no drive , any suggestions or advice will of course be gratefully received

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: Lack of drive when on the floor

Post by Mark Heaps »

Dad still needs to strip down the diff casing but our thought at the moment is that he went exactly by page 8 of the manual and only pinned the axle shaft on one side and did not pin the Ep0205 on the other side to the differential Cp0279 as the pin on that side is not shown.

Mark

Tony Heaps

Post by Tony Heaps »

Checked and I have put a pin in both sides , so that checks out

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

It's going to sound like B obvious, is the battery ok, ie do you have enough volts going to the speed controller?

Once on the deck, a lot more current will be drawn from the battery, which will reduce voltage if the charge is insufficient.

John
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Does it sound like the motor is turning but it's not going anywhere or does it just sit there ?

Which Motion Pack do you have fitted ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Tony. like yourselves I built the Rolls Royce. There is a build log on the Forum.
From memory you do have to locate the drive train axles with pins, smoothly into the cups, out to the wheels and all the way through to the motor. The axle pins, both sides, should locate fully into the differential cups. The differential will slip if any part of the drive is tight...resulting with no forward movement.
Check also that the motor drive shaft is secure in the flywheel....I had to move the fly wheel forward and back a few times to get a smooth drive, it will all come good in the end, best wishes, Mick.

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Post by johnny johnson »

Looks like a basic rc drivetrain, hold both back wheels and give it throttle, if the motor goes you should have a better idea of where its slipping, possible screw not tightened or pin left out, I dont have a RR but I bought a used 222 and had to completely tear down and rebuild the drivetrain for it to function, multiple set screws that never got thread locker, so very possible its mechanical.

Tony Heaps

Post by Tony Heaps »

First thans for the responses especially at this time of the year , it is this which makes the Armortek family so special .
The batteries were my first thought and yes they did need chaerging , thought that would cure things but no , still the problem, I have dismantelled the entire drive system and checked all pins etc , I will later this morning try moving the fly wheel back a few thou as although it feels clear enough it may be causing the problem when on the floor, Then it will be slowly rebuilding the drive system again checking everything as I go ,
Both our sons have Armortek and live far away but are as expected trying to come up with ideas to help their "old" father.,
Good job we are reiured and my wife is very understanding as I have bits all over the table in the conservaotry . Will have to have it cleated for later for Christmas dinner
Greetings and grateful thanks for all
Tony