My old weld tutorial

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
Dave Dibb (Armorpax)
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 1104 times

My old weld tutorial

Post by Dave Dibb (Armorpax) »

Hi All,

I have time and again been asked "how do I add welds" so have taken the opportunity whilst working on the Stug to try and put together a quick tutorial. This is not the only way to do this but is the method that works for me so here goes!

All my welds are added using Standard Milliput although any grade works just as well, the reason is the greener colour makes it stand out more than the whiter grades and therefore it is easier to see what you have missed.

I use a dental probe for adding the texture although you can use the end of a paint brush handle if it is flattened off.

Once you have mixed your milliput roll it out into a series of long sausages as shown in the pictures, these need to be rolled down until they fit the groove or angle you going to add the weld too.

You have about 1 hour to work the milliput before it becomes to stiff so don't mix too much at once!!!

Push your milliput into the groove or angle and make sure it is pushed right in so it keys to the plastic otherwise you will find it pulls out when try and add the texture.

Using the end of the dental probe start to "push" weld pools into the milliput working all the way along the weld. Don't worry too much at this stage about the edges but concentrate on getting the middle of your weld looking right.

Once you are happy with the middle start doing the same all the way along each edge making sure you don't leave a gap between the underneath of the milliput and the surface of the model.

When I am happy that the edges are all blended into the model surfaces I normally go back down the middle again just to make the weld more random.

If it doesn't work straight off just keep working on it until it looks right.

Finally here are some finished examples.

Hope you find this useful and happy welding!!

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

JEAN MARC BELLETETE
Been liked: 2 times

Re: My old weld tutorial

Post by JEAN MARC BELLETETE »

Thanks for the tutorial ! it as been a while for me to remember the right way to do it .
Jimbo
JIMBO
------------------------

CCAD
CLUB CHAMPLAIN ARMOR DIV

Weiss Andreas

Post by Weiss Andreas »

Thank you!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Roy Beukeveld
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Roy Beukeveld »

Hi guys,

I’m wondering which order of doing things works best with regards to the welds.
Any best practices or advice on the following?

1) bare aluminium -> degreased -> milliput welds -> etch primer -> second primer -> topcoat
Or
2) bare aluminium -> degreased -> etch primer -> milliput welds -> second primer -> topcoat

Or perhaps even different but what would be the preferred way to go?
Kind regards,
Roy

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I always try to use your option 1 but there where times where I used option 2 also.

Vince

Kent Wiik
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Kent Wiik »

Hi Roy,

Very essential the weld stick to the surface as we run our models.
This is how I do it (better safer than sorry....)

Bare aluminium / brass or whatever-> degreased -> etch primer -> milliput welds -> degreased -> second primer -> topcoat

Never failed me.

Kind regards
Kent
It´s all in the details!

Roy Beukeveld
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Roy Beukeveld »

Thanks for the replies guys, so different methods can work, but i like the idea of placing the welds between the two primer layers, so i’ll start with that.
Since i am new to this i will practice on some samples first ofcourse ;-)
Kind regards,
Roy