Sdkfz 7 very slow build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 7 Half Track
Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Sdkfz 7 very slow build

Post by Paul Wills »

Hello,

I have started my first release Sdkfz 7 build and its going to be slow progress I think. not a lot to see as yet, working on the leaf springs and putting the chassis together.

15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG

This is the cable pulley, most people didn't bother with this because it was too slow, but I want it working and I remember this mod from my first build. The worm drive was rubbing on the alloy casting, the drive is a wide diameter than the cog, so all that's required is to cut a slot in the casting so the drive can spin freely.

21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG

Paul.
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Re: Sdkfz 7 very slow build

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Paul
It’s been a long time since one of these was on the forum, looking forward to seeing this come together.
Regards
Steve

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

Time is the enemy, get going so we all can enjoy your project, i won't be far behind you, regards simon.

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

After having a long rest from 1/6th and completing the vintage project I’ve been working on. I have regained my enthusiasm and I have restarted my half-track again. Since the start of the new year I have fully built the model and I am now stripping it down to add some detailing.
IMG_2903a.JPG

On the original model the leaf springs at the rear were only held in place by the weight of the mode and if you lifted the model up to transport it, the rear leaf spring would fall out. Someone on the forum came up with the idea to add pins at ether end so this wouldn't happen.
IMG_2901a.JPG
I have also completed the winch. The 2004 kit didn't come with any cable or a way of attaching one. my salutation was to grind a groove in the wheel with a flat end, then drill in at a right angle so the cable can follow the curve of the wheel. I then drilled and tapped a cross hole for a retaining bolt to grip the cable.
IMG_2898a.JPG
IMG_2899a.JPG
I have also added the frame to stop the cable from spilling out whilst it feeds out.
IMG_2904a.JPG
Thanks to my friend Uve who has the new halftrack, I have been able to order the new drive sprockets. The teeth on the old ones being aluminium had a habit of braking off. The new model has a steel sprocket which should give more reliability.
IMG_2905a.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

Glad to have you back on Paul, it was getting lonely on this halftrack build, we all come up with similar solution's on these build project's, i did the same on my winch, i was always looking forward to this vehicle but didn't expect it to be so interesting, it has re-ignited my mojo to build something, lot's of different aspect's to this vehicle, keep the post's coming, regards simon.