Logistics!

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
Phil Young
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 59 times

Logistics!

Post by Phil Young »

Good morning all, I’m a new Armortek Tiger 1 owner and this is my first post, so please be gentle with me!
I’ve got to the point where I want to load my tank into my car. I have ramps (aluminium), but would like to know of any hints or tips regarding covering ramps with material to aid grip and also securing tank when it’s in my car?
Regards, Phil.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Logistics!

Post by Adrian Harris »

I bought some diamond pattern rubber sheet from Ebay, cut it into strips and used Wickes spray-on carpet glue to attach it.

s-l1600.jpg

It worked well for about a weekend, then the glue failed. I think it was because I was too fussy and re-positioned it once it had stuck.

Plan B, suggested by Steve Stuart, is to bolt a length of carpet threshold bar at the top and the bottom, to hold it in place.

Historically, I haven't used anything to hold a tank down in the car, though spinning it sideways does stop it from joining you in the front if you brake hard. Now I have a small van, I'm going to investigate using the load fastening points to strap things down.

I used to use a Mondeo to carry the tanks around, and found using a cut down pallet helped, because it raised the tank to about the level of the lip, which meant it didn't have to climb out of the load space.

HPIM0937b.jpg

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Phil Young

Post by Phil Young »

Hi Adrian, thanks for prompt reply and information! So the rubber sheeting would be ok if it stayed in place? I’ll investigate securing solutions! I have tie down points in the back of my car that I can use, also ratchet straps so I’ll experiment!
Phil

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Phil

You can find with rubber tread that the model loses traction if it's wet. Another solution is to use anti-slip tape:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97962 ... BIEALw_wcB

I've found it works well, hasn't come adrift and does give your tracks a well worn look.
IMG_5308.jpg
Securing your model in transit is wise. If you have to stop in a hurry, having that weight heading for the front of the car is not a good thing. The models will move anyway if loaded fore and aft. I've used ratchet straps but haven't found them very successful. The problem is that there are no natural securing points on the model and if you've added detail, there is a risk of it being damaged. Steve Stuart came up with a simple and very effective solution. It consists of a rectangular framework of timber ("four be two") which surrounds the tracks. You can then secure the frame to the car with straps, although it's a pretty effective restraint acting as a chock. It's simple and cheap to make.
IMG_5309.jpg
Thanks Steve.

Welcome to the Forum. Do have a look at the Knowledge Base. I'll add logistics to the list of topics which should be covered.

Stephen

mark lawson
Has liked: 2446 times
Been liked: 435 times

Post by mark lawson »

I have found that carpet tiles glued and cable tied to ramps works very well regardless of its wet the tank doesn't slid it grips very well.
Werkstatt - 5, 1/6 Panzer parts. werkstatt.five@gmail.com
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> So the rubber sheeting would be ok if it stayed in place?

Yes. Much better than metal tracks on a metal ramp.

I did some pretty damp shows towards the end of last year and had no problems with the tanks slipping on the rubber, including the T-34, which must have the flattest tracks of any Armortek model.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Phil Young

Post by Phil Young »

Hi Stephen, thank you for the welcome and the information! Yes, I was talking to Steve at the Armortek open day recently and he mentioned his method of 4x2s!
Thank you Mark also for your suggestion of carpet tiles.
Phil.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

I use these and am happy with them. They stow easily and the SDKFZ 7 has no problems ascending them into the boot of the car. Clearance under the hull might be a problem with some tanks, the side walls are 46mm high.

https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/telesco ... ip-surface

Mark

John-Heaps
Been liked: 15 times

Post by John-Heaps »

Gents,
to help with grip on ramps i can recommend of all things, skateboard deck tape, its very grippy, a bit like course emery tape, it has a good glue backing (self adhesive) and its water proof and lasts well.

That,s if you can bring yourself to enter a skater place and be served by a guy who,s trousers are around his knees and addresses you as DUDE.

i can swear its good stuff, just go for the most aggressive grade.

Cheers
John

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

Now there's a design for a teeshirt; "Tanker Dude"!
Steve