Marcus's 25 pounder

All topics related to Armortek's 25 Pdr
Marcus Kwa
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Marcus's 25 pounder

Post by Marcus Kwa »

The last styrene bits have been replaced:

New spade wings:

Since I do not have a milling machine (yet) I looked at alternative ways to turn small parts. I tried clamping stock brass rods into a drill (secured in a drilling column) what worked rather well! The new handles for the platform securing/housing bracket were first:

Next the handles for the elevation and slewing handwheels:

Other bits include the spade box brackets:

Though not directly related to the 25 pdr. I had a second attempt at the 25/17 pdr Pheasant muzzle brake, this time in aluminium:

Have a nice weekend!!

Marcus

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Further work on the gun laying systems. Added the ranging cone gear hand wheel and the elevation scale plate, the hand wheel was turned on my drill from stock aluminium bar. The elevation scale plate was cut from a aluminium tube with the ribs and range scale epoxied on:

Last major modification was on the hand spike bracket and towing eye assembly at the end of the gun trails. The retention mechanism and the foot pedals are still missing:

Added the anti rotation arms to the towing eye.

Since the build is nearing completion (still have not decided yet on putting some paint on it or leave it bare.........), I spend some time on its new home:

Opposite there is still space for its cousin the 25/17 Pheasant, though presenting life size ammo will be a challenge in that case......

Cheers,

Marcus

simon_manning
Been liked: 1557 times

Post by simon_manning »

Excellent quality, a pleasure to follow, regards simon manning

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Thanks Simon!

First clamp and foot pedal are on!

The rest has to wait: out of saw blades and soldering tin........

Marcus

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

You are always out off material when you are nearly finished......

Small delay but the towing-hook / hand-spike assembly is finished now:

Next task will be 'permanently' fixing the shield to its supports. Somehow that escaped my attention....
And after that? Actually have no clue!
Still not decided if I 'll give it a coat of paint or leave it 'bare'. I could also finish the 17/25 pdr. 'Pheasant', or start scratchbuilding one of my favorite artillery pieces: the L118 light gun.
I will let you know!

Cheers,

Marcus

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 437 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Marcus:

Remarkable work, again!

I am just starting on my 25 PDR and between Dave Dibb's, Jeff's and yours, I have a ton of amazing ideas and parts in mind.

Magnificent soldering work, too. The difficulty of soldering multiple parts at the same time makes some of your small assemblies amazing!

Well done! I am still doing a clinometer, eventually!

Cheers,

RPR

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Thanks Robert!
Well I have to say that not all parts came together in one try..... And though I work with different soldering media (different melting temps.) sometimes your hard work ends up in a unrecognizable clump of brass and solder just because I wanted to correct something small and did put too much heat in it! Nevertheless soldering is great fun!
Looking forward to your build!!! Might want to use one of your solutions to upgrade mine!!!

Marcus

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Marcus,
Beautiful work on all the detail pieces. What a stunning show piece. Lovely work.
Bob

Marcus Kwa

Post by Marcus Kwa »

I was playing with my make-shift lath (column drill) and ended up with this:

Fuze and shell together with their big brothers:

Fuze and shell assembled:

The shape is not completely correct yet but the process was encouraging..... :roll: For the second attempt (in the very near future) I will have a drill holder available that can take the 16mm alu rod, so no more problems of centering it ..... And some decent files for working with aluminium (still in the process of de-clogging my standard files of aluminium particles).

The shell was turned from 16mm aluminium bar with a groove cut in the shell body for the copper drive band. The drive band was made form large gauge (2.5mm) electric wire, hammered flat formed into a ring and brazed shut.
The fuze was turned from 10mm brass rod. The striker was added by drilling a hole into the fuze top and inserting m3 threaded brass rod. The threads on the lower part of the striker are to fit a striker (safety) cap.

Cheers,

Marcus