Mick's Roller

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Re: Mick's Roller

Post by Phil Woollard »

Very nice indeed but remember NO HANDBRAKE TURNS with wire wheels! 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning, spent a very pleasant couple of hours, 2am to 4am making progress lacing my first wheel. I have to say, and looking back it was straight forward...I was pleasantly surprised. Once you have the first few wires in place the rest is repetition. I used Loctite super glue, sets very fast but allows enough time to pull the wire tight and make sure the ferrule is correctly seated. The small bench vice is excellent for holding the jig leaving both hands free to set the wires. The lacing wires will withstand a good strong pull with the pliers which removes any kinks.....I like it 8) …..thanks to all who have posted their experience...most helpful....looking forward to more sleepless nights.....lacing wire wheels.... :roll: Mick
Attachments
IMG_1371.JPG

Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Love the Marples screwdriver...

Original equipment in a Ghost toolkit!

Very appropriate choice!

Cheers,

RPR

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone...... Robert, I did not know that, quite made my day, I believe the screwdriver was in my father-in-laws tool kit. He was an aircraft engineer during WW2, Halifax bombers and the like.....
The wire wheel build moves on a pace, couple of hours on the night shift, seriously enjoying this, had no idea how wonderful and therapeutic the benefits would be....there now, I've said it....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1373.JPG

Frank Breitenbach
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 689 times

Post by Frank Breitenbach »

Hello Mick
I hope you are well.
It is very crazy job to assemble the wheel rims. It is definitely nothing for me.
Well, let you see us more from your model.
Kind regards
Frank

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Frank and thank you. The Roller is done, finished, finalised, complete, over, no more the wire wheels, late nights, dropped ferrules, glue sniffing, and the occasional 'sod it', the more Armortek kits you build, the easier they become....out of the box. Time to sit back and reflect....far too many options now, will the pension stand one more raid.....Mick.
Attachments
Next model....go on....have a guess.
Next model....go on....have a guess.
IMG_1378.JPG

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

One word....Splendid! 8) 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

David Brady
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 688 times

Post by David Brady »

Hi,

Looks good Mick ... your next model could be a M3 due to the size/easier to manage, but I could be wrong! one more roll of the dice, a CHIEFTAIN.

Cheers
Last edited by David Brady on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Brearley
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Ken Brearley »

Fantastic job Mick, as I have said before it is a work of art
Regards Ken

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Post by Stephen White »

Great achievement Mick, enjoyed your posts and you've created a fine model. Experience counts for a lot in this hobby and you're now well blooded in Armortekery. Next - has to be Chieftain but I'm not sure how you'll explain taking over half the house. Maybe you could do the hull in one room and the turret in another? It'll be fun whatever you choose.

Stephen

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Great result Michael. Followed your build from the start.

Vince

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

A little light relief. Following the 'show' at the weekend the Roller is in for a full service. Oil change, engine, gearbox, rear axle..... :) Now...during 'setting up' in the church, as I drove the Roller into the hall, I experienced the left rear double wire wheel overtaking the car....what the... :oops:.....it would appear that I had fitted a 'short' CSK screw to the hub, which unscrewed itself as I drove into the hall. I always intended that the armoured car would have solid wheels so, took the opportunity to make the change. I like it. All being well I can now return to the M3 Grant build.
Now...during last weekends event I was approached by a guy who asked if I would like to display and run the Panther at the forthcoming Welshpool '1940s Weekend' held in September.....the Panther to be in the Town Hall of all places. Looks interesting, I have seen these 'events' before where 're-enactors' parade around town in 1940s dress, may give it a go with my gasmask cardboard box on a length of string around my neck, and a label with my name on....attached to my coat collar .....Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG