Famo winch and lighting

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Crowther
Been liked: 10 times

Famo winch and lighting

Post by Phil Crowther »

Good morning wise and knowledgeable builders,
How have you managed to get the winch to work without binding as the drive shaft and motor axle are not aligned in a straight line? I have tried the connector provided, wouldn’t turn; tried a flexible link with tight pvc tube, wouldn’t turn. I’m wondering if a small u/j as used in r/c cars or trucks would a) fit and b)be tough enough as there seems to be a fair amount of torque involved?
Second question is about wiring up the headlights and rear lights. How can I do it? I found a post about lighting the King Tiger from 2007 and wondered if the connections are the same 12 years later? I would greatly appreciate your help. 🙏🏻 Phil C

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Famo winch and lighting

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Phil, ref the winch. Does the winch turn ok when you attach it to a battery drill driver? Regards Phil
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Phil Crowther

Post by Phil Crowther »

Hi Phil, the winch turns nicely with the drill and it also turned for approx 10 seconds when attached to the motor with the tube but otherwise no go. Phil

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I had a combination of factors causing binding, the out of line motor shaft, that needed the 2.5mm mounting holes opening up to maybe 3mm or even 3.5 until you can align correctly before tightening in place, the flexible coupling will only work if the worm and snail gear are set up with no binding what so ever, you may need to ad shim washers to get the worm directly over the snail gear or it just wont turn smoothly (check out my famo thread posting on that) also the snail top cover needs shims under it so that the gear is not pinched when it's done up tight, you can easily check that by loosening the bolts until the snail will rotate freely. PTFE flexible tube is possibly to slippery for that shaft coupling , maybe install a UJ type coupler.

Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,
I bought a clutch (see report). I have shortened these that it fits between engine and gearbox. Otherwise proceed as Phil has described. I also have discs between gear cover and housing, otherwise the gear is not easy.

Phil Crowther

Post by Phil Crowther »

Thank you both. I hadn’t noticed the need to shim the snail cover so will give that a try. I’ll also try a small u/j as Florian did. Hi ho, upward and upward, 🥴 PhilC

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

If you get really stuck Phil you can always send the winch to me, regards Phil W.
Mechanical engineer.