Phils Famo build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Re: Phils Famo build

Post by Phil Woollard »

Lots of fiddly jobs to do now like the dash so not so exciting but very necessary, I'm not worrying about the weathering so much right now, just trying to get the colours to work together.
I still can't get my head round to the idea of a tachograph , why would they need one in war time?
Attachments
Speaks for itself, all I would say is....take your time and get the orientation perfect, those dials just half a degree out and they will look pants
Speaks for itself, all I would say is....take your time and get the orientation perfect, those dials just half a degree out and they will look pants
I could just paint everything the same colour but there would be no depth, no interest
I could just paint everything the same colour but there would be no depth, no interest
DSC_1962.JPG
No weathering to the cluster yet but it sure does need some
No weathering to the cluster yet but it sure does need some
DSC_1965.JPG
I have added two extra fire extinguishers for more interest, the side lights have been moved up to accommodate.
I have added two extra fire extinguishers for more interest, the side lights have been moved up to accommodate.
The area above the dash is very stark at present and will need some dressing to make it look convincing.
The area above the dash is very stark at present and will need some dressing to make it look convincing.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

bryanrmassie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by bryanrmassie »

Hi Phil

Nice build, been following every bit of it as I received mine a few days ago for future tips - not to be touched until I finish the Elefant though !!, I brought this up ages ago when I actually wondered what it even WAS when I got the 7 tonner, I couldn't believe the German military would waste time on such a thing !!, never really got an answer though

Cheers

Bry

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Brian, the tachograph seems such a waste of resources, if ever you didn't need one, ie a soldier works until he's told to stand down and then some, why would you need one? Did the allied units bother.... I doubt it! Even during an exercise/training you just keep going regardless of hours worked! Your paid for 24 hrs a day.
After a couple of days with little sleep, let alone a couple of weeks, your in a trance like state most of the time anyway......prep for War.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

If I said that I was thinking of selling this Famo when it's finished would anyone be interested? I may then start another, please PM me for a price, Px considered..... Phil.
Attachments
DSC_1953.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Almost done now. I have sewn the crew compartment canvas to the frame hoops, this keeps it taught and in place. I've weather washed the chassis and the engine bay and dry brushed all the raised areas.
She is now sold and another Famo kit on the way!
Attachments
DSC_1968.JPG
DSC_1969 (2).JPG
DSC_1970.JPG
DSC_1972.JPG
DSC_1974.JPG
DSC_1975.JPG
DSC_1977.JPG
DSC_1976 (2).JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

A video of just some of the many photos from the build log.
Thanks for watching regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Mornin Phil, I really have to salute your brilliant work, how on earth do you manage to achieve so much....and the quality. Love the video, keep on keeping on.....what next I ask myself :roll: Well done matey...Mick

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Thanks Mick you are a true Gent, it's a bit sad coming to the end of a build, ive still got the winch to sort when the parts arrive next week, although I have plumbed for the smoke I wont install a smoke machine as it just looks ridiculous, Armortek need to develop a very small volume high pressure smoker for these smaller engine models, I recall your Quad with the smoke on, it looked terminal! Theres maybe a limited market for a very small smoker but saying that if they keep bringing out these lovely smaller examples like your RR then maybe it would be viable? Possibly a water smoker?

I do have another Famo on it's way, my plans for that are maybe the spade recovery variant. I have the TV Panther 112 to sort and sell next then back to finishing the Bergepanther, that's so nice I want to keep it but could be tempted I suppose.

More video of the Famo out and about very soon.

Regards Phil.
Attachments
DSC_1971.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 288 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,
What a great work. I would like to see an Video with the moving Famo 😉
You have a second Famo Building sein? What Type you will Build?
I have a Water smoker. Thinking about to ins Tal it. Gut the was for the smoke is verry long in the Famo Pipes. Maybe the smoke is Water aus in in the end😁
Flirian

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Florian, yes the exhausts are very long , the water smoke would need to enter at the rear so the vapor is only exposed to a very short length of pipe. Research shows little to no smoke from a serving Famo engine, the surviving examples we see today are very tiered and sure do smoke if they have not been restored, I have plumbed a tee piece across the two pipes at the rear but have not found a smoker that looks any good so far!

My new Famo kit will have to wait a while as I have other kits to pack and send out, and a few to put through the workshop to bring up to my standard, busy busy. I would like to do the recovery Famo with the spade.

I will shoot some video proving trials of the Famo soon but as I no longer technically own it i will have to be very respectful and drive very carefully.
Mechanical engineer.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

The 1/16 smoker might work!

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,

thanks for the feedback. I saw the T-piece at your FAMO. Thaught about his function. I'm also not amused of the smoke. Thinking about a good position for the smoker. Maybe in the engine dummy...

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Na tue way. I locked just now on your track Chain. I Think you did it unfortunately the wrong way. I look at any Original Photos. Maybe you find it as well?!

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

It can only go one way! 8)
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

The winch update and clarification on the sprocket rubber position and fixing. The post after this one shows the sprocket rubbers finished and bonded position just like the real thing!
Attachments
I  have used the 40 mm longer shaft end, use locktite to hold the worm gear tightly
I have used the 40 mm longer shaft end, use locktite to hold the worm gear tightly
I have added x3 washers to align the worm gear correctly over the snail gear
I have added x3 washers to align the worm gear correctly over the snail gear
Pinch the brass nut/bearing up just tight , then back off half a turn to allow minimal end float.
Pinch the brass nut/bearing up just tight , then back off half a turn to allow minimal end float.
Use a cable tie to hold the cables tight to the motor or they will break at the soldered joint.
Use a cable tie to hold the cables tight to the motor or they will break at the soldered joint.
The shafts in this case are way out of line so the motor struggles to turn smoothly, you can open up the motor fixing holes to m3 to help align the shafts
The shafts in this case are way out of line so the motor struggles to turn smoothly, you can open up the motor fixing holes to m3 to help align the shafts
I have used a very tight and tuff flexible coupling to allow the discrepancy to be taken up, a 6mm UJ would be better. The motor is connected to my test rig driver until I'm happy with it's function.
I have used a very tight and tuff flexible coupling to allow the discrepancy to be taken up, a 6mm UJ would be better. The motor is connected to my test rig driver until I'm happy with it's function.
The real Famo placing of the rubber, this is better on the Armortek sprocket as we can rotate to fit the flat more precisely and then bond in place
The real Famo placing of the rubber, this is better on the Armortek sprocket as we can rotate to fit the flat more precisely and then bond in place
This non bonded rubber sprocket before a length of assembled track is placed over it to find the correct position of the rubber before bonding
This non bonded rubber sprocket before a length of assembled track is placed over it to find the correct position of the rubber before bonding
DSC_1564 (1).JPG
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mechanical engineer.