Pete's Armoured Car Build

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Pete's Armoured Car Build

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi Monique.

That is great news, i never doubted that you'd ask people to pay for the flywheel if they needed one.

Also, thanks for aceeding to my request to change the name of this post to 'Pete's Build', it more accurately presents my build.

Incidentally to 'Mick's Roller', I don't have a; ' 'er indoors' so I'm building my roller on a camping table in front of the television in the evening instead of being banished to the spare room. Currently on the camping table is the 40/50 hp engine, with the chassis sitting on the arm of the sofa. Its a horrible green at the moment. I found a can of green paint so sprayed the chassis. YUK!

Eventually it is going to be painted 'Olive Drab' to BS381 298 as it appears to be the closest available to 'Khaki Green'. £24 per 1 litre tin from a paint distributor in Ipswich.

Here's some images. By the way, the chassis was also built on the camping table! No need for a hefty bench for this babe. :D :P :)

PS. don't have a heart attack over the mini skirted girls on the tele. Michael Caine was on the One Show talking about the sixties.
Attachments
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

Pete Nash

40/50 Hp engine.

Post by Pete Nash »

I'm not going to polish the crankcase as the engine is going into a functioning armoured car. In real life it would be covered in muck and dirt anyway.
As there is going to be a lot of weight at the back end, SLA batteries as well as the sound and motion modules, I think adding the extra weight of the engine to the front might give the front end a bit more stability and steering control, especially 'off road',

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi People

If you are contemplating fitting an engine to your kit, do it before fitting the bulkhead, or remove the bulkhead before fitting the engine, it will save you a lot of aggro.

The rear engine mount is fitted under the engine mounts, EP0145 (Page 3 Basic Chassis), using M3x12 Sq,Headed bolts. The rear engine mounts are threaded M3. As you can see from my image, the engine mounts are situated under the bulkhead position. This makes it a Sierra Oscar Delta to line up the holes and get a spanner in to tighten the Bolts with the bulkhead in position.

BTW. carpet needs hoovering but doing bits on the RR armoured car because i'm waiting for UPS to deliver my Panzer II, so daren't do any hoovering in case I don't hear the door bell. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :)
DSC_0006.JPG

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 824 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Pete, lovely job, I will follow your progress with great interest. I have stalled on my 'Roller', that dam World Cup of football has arrived to interrupt my build. I am sure I will find some moment to sneak into the workshop. I am pleased with my progress and the drive motor runs very smoothly after a few adjustments. I only have the armoured car version nevertheless it's all looking good. Best wishes...Mick

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

I believe radio 5Live is broadcasting every match. I might find myself spending more time on the RR as I'm not interested in 22 grown men chasing a bag of air watched by millions of referees :) :twisted:
Its getting a bit heavy for my camping table so its been moved to something a bit more substantial, my Panzer III arrived today.
Unpacked it and sorted all the bits out, couldn't bresist making up the bottom plate and suspension bushes.
can't help thinking that the Panzer III was small or the RR armoured car is BIG.

Here's an image of my RR sitting in the hull of the Panzer III
Attachments
DSC_0008.JPG

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 824 times

Post by michael hilton »

Awww Pete, you threw me a curved ball there, I had you down as a first class football ref, I got that wrong... :) :wink: … Mick

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

I wear specs, i'd keep hearing "you should have gone to specsavers" :D :D (other opticians are available).

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

A bit more progress on the RR armoured Car.

I noticed that the rear end is all wood so decided to recreate the effect, not by making a completely new assembly but by covering the existing sheet steel in 1 mm balsa sheet stuck on with a clone of a well known 2 part epoxy adhesive.

I also made up some unditching boards from 6 mm thick balsa hardened with wet rot wood hardener. They are fixed in position with 6 mm hex head set screws with a piece of 4 mm brass bar epoxied on top and a nut set into the board itself.

The running boards are sheeted with 1mm ply.

Next job is to search for suitable material to make the toolbox handles and strap hinges.
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Re Handles for the Toolboxes.

I was looking through my books and noticed that, originally, the toolboxes didn't have handles fitted so I have taken the 'easy option' (cowards way out?) and aren't fitting any.

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Well, here she is, finally completed.
Not quite in her full glory as there is some final titivating to do, but nevertheless ready to terrorise the inhabitants around Southwold.

During final paint touch up I had to tip her on her side, came to run her and found no power :cry:
had to take the top half off and found that the main power plug and socket had separated.
When i put her back together I tapped out to 3mm using the existing holes in the front of EP0430 Roof Bracket A(Page 33) and fixing bthe roof in place with M3X6 button head screws, omitting the rest as they are covered by the turret. Now if I want to access the electrics I only have to remove four fasteners and the whole top comes off as one unit.
An alternative is to replace the 2.5X12 button heads that hold EP0430 and EP0431(Roof Bracket B at the back of the roof) by tapping the holes M3 and using M3 X 6 button heads.

The clour looks lighter than it is, its actually dark Admiralty Grey to BS381C-632

Pete
Attachments
DSC_0013.JPG

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Congratulations. That looks great.

Vince

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Two more images taken at a WW 1 Airfield near Chelmsford where I do Tours Guiding.
I based her on an Image in the haynes Manual of a Vehicle of the 'Southwold' Squadron taken outside a shop in Southwold.
Attachments
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Stunning, Pete! Absolutely beautiful!

I like the fact that you used wood for the rear decking and boxes. I intend to do the same.

Amazing job!

Cheers,

RPR