Phils Famo build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Re: Phils Famo build

Post by Phil Woollard »

I have picked all the parts for assembly page 1 and sorted all the fixings, if all goes well I will assemble this little lot tomorrow, Im not sure whether the machining tool marks on the angled areas of the chassis ladders will show or not yet so this will be a good look see.
Attachments
The finish on the parts is very good
The finish on the parts is very good
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

For those about to build! I'm not familiar with the German half tracks and the very ingenious way the axles and torsion assemblies are configured, if you are the same then I suggest you study the vehicle where ever and however you can because it's tricky. Once you have worked it out its relatively straightforward. Read those instructions carefully , more to follow tomorrow.
Mechanical engineer.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Thanks for posting! I guess I should have jumped on the FAMO earlier and then I could have been part of the first wave of deliveries but I am currently dedicating my efforts to building a fence around my yard and I have an unfinished tiger so I guess it’s no big hurry. I’ll have fun watching your build. Enjoy.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Brian, I tend to do a bit of everything that way you don't get bored. I like researching material to, all the photos posted to "real or fake" have been a great source of info and very entertaining. Get that fence finished , I have about half a mile of stock fencing to finish but it can wait for now (it is still stock proof) I have the rest of my life for all that although a diagnosed lower back problem will only get worse, and there's trees to fell and around ten tons of logs to get in, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Today I have etched the parts to go together after a quick dry fit, a little fettling of the brass parts was all that was needed along with some head scratching.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Todays work, all etched primed, gears greased with grease gaskets, it's all very tight but nicely thought out,
Attachments
DSC_1558.JPG
DSC_1555.JPG
DSC_1556.JPG
DSC_1557.JPG
DSC_1559.JPG
DSC_1560.JPG
Please note, the large chassis end piece shown here is up the wrong way, the m3 hole on the side needs to be towards the top, this being part of the fender fixing
Please note, the large chassis end piece shown here is up the wrong way, the m3 hole on the side needs to be towards the top, this being part of the fender fixing
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I suspect that now that you have started building it, there's no stopping now.

Vince

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Vince a rolling chassis would be great for now 8) but you know how it is :roll:
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 288 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Great work Phil,
how it works with the screw tithening from the front cros axel under the gears? - Its a bit tricky right?

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi florian, your quite right it's a bugger but so long as you do it in the right order its not to bad, Armortek give good advice but leave a lot to work out for yourself, which I think is good as less is more, too many complicated instructions can confuse idiots like me! I used big HT cap heads to bolt the motors in place where Armortek use button heads, the latter giving you a bit more room to squeeze the motor and gearbox in position, and I do mean squeeze because there isn't much room. Ive said it before, Mr Mark is a clever guy I couldn't in a month of Sundays have designed that lot. 8)
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

yes I thougt about the screws, but I have a very smal ratched to tighten it up.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As usual all the photos are arse backwards, the thread locking of the idler shaft.
As usual all the photos are arse backwards, the thread locking of the idler shaft.
Another exciting instalment of the Famo build, Im enjoying this build.
Attachments
The idler thread needed tapping again as the shaft thread was particularly tight.
The idler thread needed tapping again as the shaft thread was particularly tight.
The sprocket rollers have a taper on one side to help locate the pins when pressing the pieces together, this needs to be taper on the inside, see original photo of the Famo
The sprocket rollers have a taper on one side to help locate the pins when pressing the pieces together, this needs to be taper on the inside, see original photo of the Famo
The square non taper side is showing like the original
The square non taper side is showing like the original
Nice and neat, the rubber tyre is not in line as yet and so not fixed until the tracks are installed and all is lined up and then bonded
Nice and neat, the rubber tyre is not in line as yet and so not fixed until the tracks are installed and all is lined up and then bonded
A work of art Mark! Do you like the sunbeam highlight ?
A work of art Mark! Do you like the sunbeam highlight ?
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Good morning Phil,

nice build. I would mill the router tracks in the wheels with a dremel. Thats my work just now. Making a picture tomorrow.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi F, that's quite a long job but will look great when done, I shall build the whole thing from the box ( where ever possible as the odd mod is going to be necessary) then sit back and decide on the finer detailing later. I'm on to the wheels and suspension today, kind regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Got my eye on your build Phil, you handsome devil. Can't wait for the next instalment....I used to feel like this waiting for the Dandy and Beano comic to arrive, on a Saturday in the 1940s. :lol: ….Mick.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Ah ok. Looking forward what you are doing next. I'll make the details just in time, so I must not rebuild some parts. Its a long trip to uild this awesome model, but its an famous one :)