222 Renovation

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 222
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

222 Renovation

Post by Adrian Harris »

I'm making a start on renovating this poor old girl, which I picked up after my Wanted ad on the forum:

DSCF6090 - Reduced.jpg

One of the issues with the 222 is that the steering servo arm clashes with the chassis rail. The motion pack instructions actually state:

"Note that it may be necessary to remove a small amount of material from the chassis rail to clear the ball joints"

Whoever built this 222 originally obviously had major problems with this interference as a lot of the rail had been removed:

DSCF6108 - Reduced.jpg

As I'm repositioning the servo and using smaller steering arm ends, so that the ball joints will clear the chassis rails, I decided to reinstate this missing section of the chassis rail using DuraFix aluminium brazing rods.

This is the chassis rail after I broke down the chassis and stripped the paint from it. I used two pieces of steel angle. One to block the rear of the rail, to get the right level and to give the molten aluminium something to sit on, and another to keep the two parts tightly clamped together in the vice.

Chassis Rail Before Filling - Reduced.jpg

After 30 minutes or so of heating with a MAPP torch and filling with the rod, this is how it looked once filled:

Chassis Rail During Filling - Reduced.jpg

A few minutes with the power file and this is how it looks now:

Chassis Rail Finished 1 - Reduced.jpg
Chassis Rail Finished 2 - Reduced.jpg

A bit of high build primer and sanding and the fill shouldn't be visible.

It's only on the bottom and the inside of the rail, so wouldn't be seen during normal use, unless I start doing acrobatics with the 222 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2024 times

Re: 222 Renovation

Post by Brian Ostlind »

That is some nice clean work!

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

i am sat back in my arm chair ready for this build, having a poor old girl aswell, ready for the grind, regards simon,

Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 737 times

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

That looks good Adrian, I am not a fan of aluminium in model making, but seeing how good your repair is might convince me otherwise, the 222 is a great project to work on
Regards Jeff

Simon Peck
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Simon Peck »

Hi Adrian,

Very nice repair you made there! When I built my 222 I never had a problem with the steering servo arm and chassis rail, I simply mounted the servo arm 180 degrees from normal and reversed the servo.

Best regards,

Simon