Pak 43/41 - Advice needed on elevation set up?

All topics related to Armortek's Pak 43/ 41
Leon Hosking
Been liked: 2 times

Pak 43/41 - Advice needed on elevation set up?

Post by Leon Hosking »

Hi Chaps

We are about done, and the traverse is working a treat :D

However, some advice is needed with the elevation side of things.

The actual elevation gearing is also working a treat, but when we put the barrel assembly on, and fitted the equilibrator tubes/rams plus springs, the elevation gearing was unable to move the the barrel assembly. We tried again without the springs fitted, but the weight of the barrel assembly seemed to be too much for the gearing.

We are wondering if the springs, which I assume are designed to take some of this weight off the gearing system, are too stiff :?: - and is it worth cropping them a bit so the gearing is not fighting against them when attempting to move the barrel assembly up and down (which I do appreciate is very heavy) in an attempt to find a happy medium :idea:

Apologies if I am not using the correct mechanical names for these bits and bobs, but providing I have explained things well enough, can anybody help :idea:

Leon Hosking

Re: Pak 43/41 - Advice needed on elevation set up?

Post by Leon Hosking »

Problem solved :D

The full weight of the barrel acts to counter-balance the springs :idea: just remember not to operate the elevation mechanism without the full length of barrel attached :oops: :oops: :!:

Scott Hickey

Post by Scott Hickey »

Having exactly the same trouble that as soon as you mount the barrel block with the equilibrator tubes and springs the whole elevation set up is blocked and way too stiff for the gears (even when trying to manually off-set some of the weight/pressure). Had it off and on 3 or 4 time now and don't know what else to do. Did you get yours solved Leon?

Leon Hosking

Post by Leon Hosking »

Hi Scott

I did in the end :shock:

You need the FULL length of the barrel to offset the stiffness of the springs, which are beefy old buggers :!:

DO NOT :!: :!: operate the elevation gears unless you have the barrel+muzzle break screwed on to the barrel block - I learnt the expensive way and stripped a few gears :cry: :oops:

Also make sure the gear shafts don`t need a bit of whittling down to mesh properly - mine needed quite a bit of `fettling before it worked O.K.

Hope this helps you out mate :D
The finished gun, with barrel attached, this provides the countereight
The finished gun, with barrel attached, this provides the countereight

Scott Hickey

Post by Scott Hickey »

Thanks a lot Leon.
Holiday first and then will tackle the beast again.
You one is looking mighty fine and proud all finished up. Great job and that’s a cool photo.