Barrel fixation and track support

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
Martinus Verschure
Been liked: 1 time

Barrel fixation and track support

Post by Martinus Verschure »

This is Maarten from the Netherlands. My Elefant is # 31.
Maybe somebody can advice me here as I have two questions and it could be also Im overlooking something.
1) Fixation of the barrel. I do not have the electric pack ( yet ) and sliding the barrel into the ball assembly I miss the items to fixate / avoid the barrel from sliding into the hull. Also the ball assembly itself cannot be adjusted to slide / move a bit heavier so it stays in position. Any idea about this ?

2) The tracks are quite loose as they should be. Only thing is they are scraping over top of the bogie assemblies. The part that holds the shaft going thru the side wall. Is that normal for this model ?

Thank you for reading my request and any input is welcome. Best regards, Maarten Verschure

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Re: Barrel fixation and track support

Post by Steve Norris »

Hello Maarten
I have built 2 Elefants so I think I can help.
The barrel is held in position by the recoil assembly, if you do not have this you will have to either glue it in place or prefeably make a small bracket th hold it in position. There are 2 M3 bolt holes in the barrel breach end where it passes out of the ball mount, these can be used in conjunction with the holes in the ball mount to fit a bracket.
I found on both the Elefants I built that the ball mount needed a bit of fileing to remove a very slight ridge around the circumference of the mount, I think this slight excess material is just a result of the machining process. Anyway after the material was removed the ball mounts moved a lot smoother.
The tracks do naturally sag and touch the wheel mounts just like the real vehicles, you could adjust the track tension so that the track just sits above the centre wheel mount but I would not over tighten them as it will not look realistic.
Hope this is of help
Steve

Chang
Has liked: 14897 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Chang »

Hi Maarten,

Here are my 5 cent,

(1) I just temperorily use a sticky tape to seal the end of barrel at the breach position, until I can install the recoil assembly.

(2) I adjust the idle wheel set a little bit (few mm) backward, then only assemble 55 instead of 56 track pairs per track. Looks fine for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Martinus Verschure

Steve Norris wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:34 pm
Hello Maarten
I have built 2 Elefants so I think I can help.
The barrel is held in position by the recoil assembly, if you do not have this you will have to either glue it in place or prefeably make a small bracket th hold it in position. There are 2 M3 bolt holes in the barrel breach end where it passes out of the ball mount, these can be used in conjunction with the holes in the ball mount to fit a bracket.
I found on both the Elefants I built that the ball mount needed a bit of fileing to remove a very slight ridge around the circumference of the mount, I think this slight excess material is just a result of the machining process. Anyway after the material was removed the ball mounts moved a lot smoother.
The tracks do naturally sag and touch the wheel mounts just like the real vehicles, you could adjust the track tension so that the track just sits above the centre wheel mount but I would not over tighten them as it will not look realistic.
Hope this is of help
Steve
Thank you Steve and my apologies I din't replied sooner. I was expecting the forum sending me a notification if somebody replied back. My fault and I work on the Elefant when time permits so I didn't touched it for almost 2 weeks now.

Thank you for your info and I removed one link which looks good to me now.

Have a great sunday. Maarten.

Martinus Verschure

Chang wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi Maarten,

Here are my 5 cent,

(1) I just temperorily use a sticky tape to seal the end of barrel at the breach position, until I can install the recoil assembly.

(2) I adjust the idle wheel set a little bit (few mm) backward, then only assemble 55 instead of 56 track pairs per track. Looks fine for me.
Hello Chang,Thank you and like to Steve my apologies I din't replied sooner. I was expecting the forum sending me a notification if somebody replied back. My fault and I work on the Elefant when time permits so I didn't touched it for almost 2 weeks now.

Barrel is fixed and tracks are adjusted. Looks good to me now.

Have a great sunday. Maarten.