Villers-Bretonneux

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 135 times

Villers-Bretonneux

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Dear all

Another milestone / anniversary is upon us, perhaps not such a household name as Somme, Cambrai, or Passchendaele, but no less notable. Today, 24th April, marks the centenary of the first tank vs tank battle at Villers-Bretonneux.

Three British Mk IVs of 1st Battalion Tank Corps, led by 2nd Lt Frank Mitchell in male tank 4066, engaged with three German A7s. Mitchell, who received the Military Cross for his part in the battle, was born here on Guernsey in 1894 and that’s reason enough to base my MKIV model on his tank!

Sadly my build is behind time. I’d hoped to have it finished and unveiled today but a number of circumstances have conspired to thwart those plans - won’t bore you with details. Anyway, work continues and 4066 will be on parade for our local summer shows.

Until then, best regards

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Hunter on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Villers-Bretonneux

Post by Stephen White »

Well said Kevin, looking forward to seeing her complete. Any remote possibility of you joining us at Bovington 8-9 Aug for Amiens 100? Stephen

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Villers-Bretonneux

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Hi Stephen,

Amiens 100 would be a nice idea but the small matter of crossing the Channel, with a Mk IV under ones arm (or in the boot), might prove problematic. At worst will try for a "social" attendance - Mrs H always likes a weekend away, is pleasantly quite tolerant of Bovvy and I have yet to meet Kian/Monique. Sounds like the makings of a plan!

All the best
Kevin