Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

turret rotation

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Guys
I have just found a small problem on turret rotation when I
turn my turret the corner of the mantlet catches the corner of the rear crew heater caseing.
I have the modified replacement deck part and I wonder has any one else
had the same issue.
Its not a major issue to me but I thought the turret should do full rotations.

I have the turret forward on the turret ring which was slotted as well.

Is this normal or did I make a mess some where....?

Regards

Derek :oops:
we must stop making stupid predictions

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

hello derek,
i think you have messed up!!, there should be quite a gap from the edge of the mantlet to the heater casing, does your engine hatch open now with the turret in the forward postion, as there is only a 10mm gap between the two when open normaly, and if your turret is that far back it might not open at all, see if you can post a picture so we can see the problem.

cheers, chris.

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Derek,

I seem to remember in the instructions, it was suggested to mount the turret as far back on the ring as possible and this was the reason the holes were slotted. I assume if you mount the turret further back on the ring the mantel will then clear the heater during rotation?

Like Chris says, check the distance from turret rear to engine hatch. I have about 16mm. Unfortunately I don't have the heater box to check that distance.

Hopefully it's just a matter of loosening the fasteners on the ring, pushing the ring forward(turret back on the ring) and that should take care of it.

How's the Panther? Up and running?

Good luck

Best regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

My Bad !!!!
During the painting I have had the turret off and on loads of times and
the ring and gear must have shifted on the slots.
I have loosened the bolts off and realigned things and all is well in the world again. :oops:

Thanks guys you were spot on.
:lol: :lol:
Hi Tim

The Panther should have rolled this week but I am going to wait some days as I cant walk to well at the moment following some further knee surgery.

I have however been busy with the paint airbrush and it now has a camo job and numbers done with Dave Dibbs great stensils.

When this has settled down a worn late winter wash look is going on and then weathering will follow.

I have been taking pictures of each stage and will post some soon. :D

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Derek

I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery. Thanks for the update on your Panther, it sounds great! Look forward to it. Glad the turret was a simple fix.

Regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Derek,
I wish you a speedy recovery as well. I have enjoyed your photos and really look forward to seeing your paint and weathering.

I too moved the turret way back, but also added the clipped corners of the front turret sides. I think this is why the real tank had the front corners notched a bit - to clear hatch handles and deck fittings.

Kind regards,
Bob