No 11 has landed

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

No 11 has landed

Post by Adrian Harris »

UPS delivered Quad number 11 here on Thursday, so I have decanted it into my normal plastic storage crates and have gone through the parts list.

It seems to me that there are more parts in this Quad than there in a tank :shock: assuming you ignore all the track links :roll:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Re: No 11 has landed

Post by Adrian Harris »

A couple of thoughts re the build process.

I wouldn't install the foot well pieces (EM0321) until after the engine bay has been attached, as they cover two of the mounting bolts for the engine bay sides.

Also, the front mudguard struts (EM0328) fit with the dog leg facing forward and down.

Other than that it's gone together a treat so far.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I had some fun with the spare wheel over the weekend.
Modified and original wheels
Modified and original wheels
I used a countersink bit to open up the extraneous holes, then filled them using some Durafix aluminium welding rod.

Once the wheel had cooled down I transferred it to the CNC lathe and skimmed the excess material off the face. I also skimmed it flat to the rim, as I plan on adding two disks to the front and rear wheels, to simulate their different orientation.

Next operation was to move the wheel to my new rotary table and drill out the six additional mounting holes, using the two original ones as guides.

I have to admit that, having passed the half century this year, it appears I still can't count up to 11.25 six times... :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, having repeated the filling and skimming phases, the drilling went to plan on the second attempt :D :D

Quite a bit of work just to remove two holes, but fun none the less, and an easy introduction to using the rotary table.

Adrian.

Dave Backway
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Dave Backway »

Hi Adrian,

As pm, please see the below photos, I hope these help.

Regards

Dave
Attachments
DSC_5905.JPG
DSC_5889.JPG
DSC_5886.JPG
DSC_5877.JPG

Dave Backway

Post by Dave Backway »

Hi Adrian,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question with regards your Quad build. I have put the front axel together and wondered if you had an issue with the half shafts. I have assembled the axel many times with the same result with what seem to be half shafts that are too long. Have you come across this or is it just me and if you have, how did you managed to overcome the problem?

Regards

Dave

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Dave,

Have you read ALL the posts on the Quad forum because you might find the answer in there.

Dennis.

Bryan Brown
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Bryan Brown »

Dave

if you look at the posting by Ken Walter (front axle) dated 28/02/2017 the probable answer is there in the answers to his enquiry for you to see

Dave Backway

Post by Dave Backway »

Thanks guys for the advice and I had read the topic re "front axle" to which I have added how I fixed the problem.

Regards

Dave