brakemans seat

Forum for discussion relating to the 88mm Flak36
Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 737 times

brakemans seat

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi just a few updates on building the bogie's, I have made and fitted the metal chair for the brakeman, and made the valves and pipework
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

I hope those brakes aren't too fierce otherwise the poor guy is going to suffer on his lever!!

I saw the seats that Vince ha made for his 88, but wern't these in the original kit as they are quite a major piece??
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Allan, he is wearing his cricket box, and no the seat or the pivot were part of the kit,
regards
Jeff

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

superb work on your 88 and interesting to follow even though i dont own one,keep the photos coming

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Jeff,

As always, just amazing. I agree with Simon. although I do not own one it sure is fun to view your , first-class work and follow your progress. I only wish I could see it in person. :(

all the best

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Tim & Simon, thanks for the kind words, the 88 is like having three or four models all at the same time, with the main gun, fuse setter and the bogie's and although I try to be precise in all the bits I make, I have given up measuring and converting from one scale to another, I use the 1/6th figure as a yard stick, and if it fits and looks right then it most likely is, and at the end of the day the model is for your own enjoyment, and not something to intimidated by, so this is what I made today
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

I agree entirely with what you say about measuring. For my Sherman I am using a combination of 1/16th and 1/48 scale models plus what photo's I can get hold of. Even doing some basic check measurements between the reference models and the 1/6th kit there are immediately compromises to be made and there is no way of really checking which is the most accurate. You would need access to an actual vehicle, and then I bet the bit you were looking to make would be missing!!! In the end I think if it looks right and the model captivates and interests people then that is what I'm after.
Allan Richards

Fred Lopian

Post by Fred Lopian »

Hello Jeffrey,
that is a great work.

regards
Fred
In memory at Kurt Knispel (s.Pz.Abt 503) -- 168 victories

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hi Jeff!..
As always, nothing to tell about your work!! just : "voiceless"!!!
I have one to build with the sdkfz 7 but seeing yours, I really wonder how I will do those kits!! :oops: Looking your pictures is always a good moment for me !!!
Thanks for that and congratulations for those 1st class models (sdkfz 7 and 88!!)
Regards
Yves

Pierluigi Patri
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pierluigi Patri »

I know the brakeman's seat it's only a detail -really well done as usual by you- but I'm interested about the work's steps.
If your work is not "classified" :D can you tell me:
What stuff have you used?
How did you make the holes in so precise way?
How did you get the so perfect shape?
Thank you.
Pierluigi

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Pierluigi, for the seat I used brass sheet, I formed the out side lip with a pair of flat nose pliers, the holes were made by drilling while still flat, and then dished, the side bars are made from garden wire silver soldered to the base, and a brass back support soft soldered to these, it took about 1/2 an hour
regards
Jeff