Batteries

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
John Heath
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Batteries

Post by John Heath »

For the Tracer LiFeP04 they recommend doing a discharge / charge cycle after the battery has been stored for 12 months so you are well within the safe storage period.

John

andyquirot
Been liked: 33 times

Post by andyquirot »

I know popele dont like lipo batterys but i use them for everything from my sons trials bike/ my tanks/boats/planes/cars ETC.
Here you can see 1 x 12Volt dry cell 17.2AH battery and 2 13AH lipos (Thats 23AH@22.2v Total)
Run time is great i have run for a few hours and only put about 50% charg in them.
Treat them well and i have never had a prob SO FAR!!!.
Regards Andy Quirot
Attachments
Battery.jpg

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

What's the price comparison though including price of a Lipo charger.

Dennis.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 588 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Well, I can look back at about 55 years of flying planes, including perhaps 20 years of using LiPos. Though I for myself never had any trouble with them, I saw 4 severe accidents on our airfied, including one damage to a human beeing. In all cases larger damages could be prevented by hurrying to remove the burning LiPos out of the plane!

In my tank models I have no possibility for quick removing a battery. Therefore I would never use LiPos in a tank, especially because weight and dimensions of the battery are no problem. All I use are lead acid and LiFe-cells, which are much safer to use than LiPos.
kind regards
Gerhard

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

I won't rehearse the arguments in previous threads or the Knowledge Base Topic on battery selection but it's worth bearing in mind the caution which Mark has raised concerning the effect of the regenerative charging capability of the Armortek motion system. Mark identified surge currents of up to 80 amps. This is not an issue for AGM batteries nor for LiFePO3 batteries with a Battery Management System but could be an issue with LiPo. Furthermore, given the well known tendency of LiPo to catastrophic self-disassembly during charging, it's recommended to remove a LiPo battery to a safe place for charging. This could be a real pain in our models.

For those reasons, AGM and LiFePO are good options. LiPo batteries are not recommended for Armortek models, as Gerhard says.

Stephen