Wiring up for newbies

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Phil Crowther
Been liked: 10 times

Wiring up for newbies

Post by Phil Crowther »

Hi, Quad builders. I have a small problem that I am sure someone out there can help with.
I have got to the point of setting the Motion Pack with all its attendant gubbins into my Quad I noticed that when fixing the steering servo as described in stage 32 the lead isn't long enough to enable both it and the lead from the Motion Control Module to meet up at the receiver as shown in the wiring diagram. This is with the MCM and the batteries placed as shown in stage 34. I've tried every permutation of position of the controls without success. Either the wires don't reach or the terminals foul the walls. Frustrating!
Another problem for me which is probably uber obvious is the labelling on my Exmitter EX6's receiver. The r/x has 7 servo positions labelled,right to left, Throttle, Roll, Pitch, Yaw and Aux 1-3. Do I ignore the labelling (not flying the Quad just yet!) and follow the wiring diagram ? Are all rx units set up the same way?
Sorry to be such a wuss but I'd hate to blow anything up before I'd had a chance to get things rolling.

Cheers, Phil

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Wiring up for newbies

Post by Adrian Harris »

I would guess Chris Fry is about the only person who has wired up one of these, so he may be able to comment on how he linked the servo to the MCM. Male to Female servo extension leads are only a couple of quid on Ebay.

Looking at the manual for the EX6 transmitter and receiver, the throttle and rudder are on the left hand stick and the elevator and aileron are on the right hand stick. They haven't been consistent with the labelling on the transmitter and receiver, but I would guess that they link up as:

Throttle - THRO
Rudder - YAW
Elevator - PITCH
Aileron - ROLL

I prefer using the right hand stick to drive, so I would wire the motor to the Elevator/PITCH channel and the servo to the Aileron/ROLL channel. That way the Quad should follow the motion of the stick - forward/backward/left/right.

If the forward/backward motion is wrong, you can either reverse the blue/yellow wires for the motor in the MCM or use the "Servo Reverse" switch on the transmitter. For the steering, you'll only be able to use the "Servo Reverse" switch.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Phil Crowther

Post by Phil Crowther »

Many thanks, Adrian. I'll give it a go and if Chris happens to read this perhaps he will let me in on the trick of getting the quart into the pint pot!

Phil

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

hello phil,
did you see my post in the morris quad batteries section, some pics there of the electrics layout that I have done,
to answer your question on which channels I used and which port I used on the receiver,
using a dx6i and matching 6 channel receiver, the 7th you were referring to is the binding port,
on the radio left hand stick, left to right I used to steer the quad and that is rudd on the receiver and connects direct to the steering servo, also on the radio left stick forward and back was to control the winch, which is labelled thro on the receiver and comes from number 1 port on the motion control module,
on the radio right hand stick, forward and back controls the forward and reverse of the quad, this is elev on the receiver, also on the right stick left to right controls the sound start up, this is ale on the receiver, (programming required here) refer to audio module instructions.
on the picture below you can see how I labelled the radio, the servo next to it is what I use to find which receiver port matches the radio stick operation, once the radio is bound to the receiver I remove all the rc leads from the receiver and plug in the servo to the first port and see what stick operation moves the servo and in which direction, that's what I find easiest. this is only my way, you can use which ever stick movement you find easiest for you so you may want to use a different receiver port.
hope this helps a bit. chris.
PTDC0168.JPG

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> this is ale on the receiver

Don't drive it in the pub then !!

The burning question is: Did you use an extension lead from the receiver to the steering servo, or does is it just down to to the location of the receiver ?

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Chris,

Is not the winch controlled by one of the speed controllers in which case the receiver cable should be plugged in to port 3 or 4 not 1 on the motion control module, I maybe confused here.

Dennis.

Phil Crowther

Post by Phil Crowther »

Chris, thank you.
I've always been leery of rc and servos and so forth. Your explanation is just wot I need. And having just downed a bottle of Cyprus's finest ale I will wait until tomorrow to set to. It'll also give the two tyres I glued up backwards and had to demount , a chance to cure again! Not a fun job

Cheers, Phil