Another Centurion

Forum for discussion relating to the Centurion
John Hill
Been liked: 3 times

Another Centurion

Post by John Hill »

Completed frame
Completed frame
The first few joints was soldered with the end and centre frames bolted to the turret. The top rail was continuous at this stage in order to have a stand alone unit. Next it was unbolted from the turret and the rest of the rails cut, ends pinched and soldered in. The searchlight frames were slipped on the top rail but not soldered. Once the frame was complete the searchlight frames could be positioned, soldered and the top rail cut out. A good soaking in hot water and a scrub with washing up liquid to remove all flux traces. Like all fluxes H5 is corrosive. B & Q do a range of expanded and perforated metal sheets. I found a plain steel expanded sheet with diagonal holes 12mm x 6.5mm in a light weight. Having silver soldered the frame I could soft solder the steel sheet with ease. I started with the centre section and cut and soldered the sheet as I went. This way I was able to get the sheet edges right on the centre of the frame. Bakers fluid was used as a flux so more soaking and a scrubbing as this is very corrosive.
P1050740.jpg
P1050746.jpg
P1050748.jpg
I am quite pleased with the result. I have made new bin lids with turned edges, added some ribs on the cable drum and made a new bracket to accommodate three jerry cans, machined some edge detail on the radio box and the smoke launchers withe new brackets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and this was going to be an out the box build, mmmmmm
Last edited by John Hill on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

davidwilkins
Been liked: 213 times

Re: Another Centurion

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi John,

Great to see another Centurion build taking shape, nice work on the basket.

Regards

David

simon_manning
Been liked: 1627 times

Re: Another Centurion

Post by simon_manning »

another fine basket construction on here, nice work john, regards simon.