L7 gun length

Forum for discussion relating to the Centurion
Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

L7 gun length

Post by Steve Norris »

Does anyone know the total length of the L7 gun from the face of the mantlet to the end of the barrel ?
Any info much appreciated
Regards
Steve

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: L7 gun length

Post by Stephen White »

Steve

Best I can do is barrel length (ie from end of chamber to muzzle) = 52 calibres. That means 105 x 52 = 5.46m

The length to the face of the mantlet won't be far off that.

Total length of the gun incl breech block = 5.89m

All the best

Stephen

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris »

Thanks Stephen,
The reason I ask is that I am trying to determine the position of the barrel in the mantlet and therefor the amount of barrel you see protruding. As supplied the barrel does not have a positive location within the mantlet due to the inclusion of the recoil bush and the barrels ability to be positioned at any point within the bush.
Regards
Steve

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Steve

Now I see the problem. I haven't got that far, so didn't realise that the positioning could vary.
Help is at hand. Mike Cecil, who know more about Centurion than most, saw your post and emailed:

Just noticed the posts on the L7 on the Armortek site. I think I can add some information with regard to the L7A3 of the Leopard which should be virtually the same as the L7A1 of Centurion (the change was, I think, in the chamfer of the breech block to prevent it striking the roof of the Leopard turret at full depression). I would expect the balance around the gun trunnions of both tanks to be the same, so the distances from the centre of the gun trunnions to the muzzle should be the same or very close to it – probably so close at 1/6 scale as not to make a difference.

The measurements are:

L7A3 on Leopard AS1:
length with breech ring: 5588mm
Length without breech ring: 5346mm
Length from centre of gun trunnions to muzzle: 4235mm
Overall length of gun assembly from muzzle to end of spent case basket: 6300mm
Length of gun from centre of gun trunnions to the end of the breech block cut out: 1135mm

Assuming the kit trunnions are correctly positioned, you should get the right positioning from Mike's data. A word of caution if measuring a full size, to check that the gun is in battery, ie fully run out and the "Stop, running back" is fitted.

Hope that helps.

Stephen (thanks Mike).

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris »

Stephen/Mike
Great reply and just the information that I was looking for, many thanks.
Regards
Steve