UPGRADED T34/85 TOW HOOKS

Forum for discussion relating to the T34
Ian Rodney
Been liked: 53 times

UPGRADED T34/85 TOW HOOKS

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi All,

Had a go at creating making some new tow hooks for my T34/85 kit.
Instead of using the tow eyes that came along with this version of the T34.

A lot of cutting, sawing, drilling, filling was put in to create these and I still have to make the other two tow hooks and the catches and springs to retain the tows.

Regards to all
Ian
from Glasgow, Scotland :D
Attachments
51.TWO HOOKS FINISHED.jpg
45.FRONT HOOK.jpg
41.ONE FINISHED HOOK.jpg
22.FRONT HOOK.jpg
17.HOOKS TAKING SHAPE.jpg
7.SHAPPING T34 85 HOOKS.jpg

Fabrice Le Roux
Been liked: 14 times

Re: UPGRADED T34/85 TOW HOOKS

Post by Fabrice Le Roux »

Ian,

Very nice work. Like the drawings too. A strangely organic looking part for a vehicle. Reminds me a bit of Gieger's conceptual sketches for props for the original "Alien" film.

You not tempted to get castings made?

cheers, Fabrice

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

good observation fabrice, i still have the original alien " how its made" book with the gieger drawings, a fantastic artist, and very original. steve winstone might be able to get the hooks cast, i would love a set, saves a lot of time, well done ian they look great. regards simon manning.

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Fabrice and Simon,

Thank you both on your nice comments on my efforts so far in trying to create these upgraded tow eyes for my own T34/85 Tank.
Yes your right guys they do remind me of the conceptual sketches for the original "Alien" film, Scary!

As for getting them cast, made up in pairs of four etc, certainly someone like the excellent craftsman Steve Winstone could cast these for sure. I know Steve's fine workmanship on upgraded parts he has made for me in the past.

Anyway I'm not quite finished yet, as I have still to have a go at making the catches and springs etc to complete this section of my build to add to my tank.

I just wanted to sound out to some of you experts on my humble efforts in having a go at creating these by hand, which was fun, but time consuming to say the least! and can see the benefit of getting the hooks cast eventually!

Meanwhile back to finishing off the last two remaining hooks.

Cheers
Ian

Glasgow, Scotland
Attachments
53.HOOKS AND CATCHES.jpg

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi All,
Now that I have finished making my set of four tow hooks, next stage is to make a set of catches and springs for above.
Although I can see most parts to create the catches, from looking at John Wiggins pics with measurements of the hook and catches, I'm not sure about the springs!

I would like to make a set of working catches and springs to complete my hooks for my own T34/85.

Does anyone know of any good diagrams or more pics to show a working catches and springs.

Cheers

Ian
from Glasgow, Scotland
Attachments
4 UPGRADED T34 HOOKS.jpg
FINISHED T34 85 HOOKS.jpg

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Ian,
Those are really nice! Great job! Even though you machined them the "hammered" finish makes them look forged just like the originals. They will look great once mounted. I love all the concept sketches too. Keep up the fine work!
Bob

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Is it just me or do they bring to mind a certain scene from the Disney Jungle Book movie :?: :lol: :lol:

So the T34 had elephants for tow hooks and Mickey's ears for turret hatch lids :lol: :lol: :lol:

All joking aside, they are miniature masterpieces. I dread to think the hours of filing etc it has taken to get them down to that finish from the original blocks.

Can't wait to see them kitted out with the catches etc.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Lewington
Has liked: 7992 times
Been liked: 155 times

Post by Steve Lewington »

Hi Ian

They look fantastic mate a rearly good job and well made.
I am now looking forward to your next post.
All the best

Steve
There is no time for peace.
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

SdKfz 7 Half Track, 88mm Flak 36, Panzer III, TIGER I Mid 2010, Panzer iv, Sdkfz251, Famo ,Chech Hedgehog x2
Ammo limber, 25 pounder,

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Steve,
Greetings from snow bound Glasgow...brrrrr......nice to receive replies from someone else in Scotland that is mad on 1/6th scale tanks like me! There is not many Armortek builders North of the border! Or I could be wrong?

Yes well I'm pleased with my T34/85 Tow Hooks so far, and made some Catches to add to my set of hooks for my T34.
My latest pics show my catch parts without a 'spring' which I have still to work out, make along with nuts and bolts to complete a set of four hooks etc.

Cheers
Ian
from Glasgow, Scotland
Attachments
CATCH PARTS WITHOUT SPRING.jpg
HOOK CATCH.jpg
T34 85 HOOK & CATCH.jpg

Steve Lewington
Has liked: 7992 times
Been liked: 155 times

Post by Steve Lewington »

Hi Ian
Thank you for the lovely comments.
The snow up here has almost gone now only about 4” deep now so that should be gone in a day or two.
I did receive a PM from a chap in Laurencekirk who has a tiger and asked about a meet up but when I said that would be great I never heard anything else from him so it looks like just the two of us up here in bonny cold snowy Scotland.
Are you going to the open day? If so I would love to meet up over a brew,
Loving the build photos.

Take care

Steve
There is no time for peace.
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

SdKfz 7 Half Track, 88mm Flak 36, Panzer III, TIGER I Mid 2010, Panzer iv, Sdkfz251, Famo ,Chech Hedgehog x2
Ammo limber, 25 pounder,

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Steve,

Snow is gone now here in the Glasgow area, after all the heavy rain, look's like a spring like weather for this weekend coming!
Yes well I had a go at making the springs for my T34/85 Eye Hooks and Catches. But they did not turn out to well!...either the springs that I was using was to strong or too soft. So I added some nylon washers just now and come back to them at a later date.
Trouble is I have not come across any real good details or technical drawings to help me find out how the springs work on the catches! I've looked at plenty of pics but I wonder if anyone else has had a go at making them? or know how they work!

As for Armortek open day at Bovy this year in September, I've not decided yet! waiting for my StuG III G first to arrive, then I will think about seriously heading south over the border!

Anyway nice to be in touch with someone else up here, perhaps we could get together in the future!
I will keep you posted about this year's open day etc, if I am definitely going or not!

email address: artmaniastudio3@googlemail.com

Cheers
Ian
from Glasgow, Scotland
Attachments
CATCH SPRING.jpg
CATCH WITH NYLON WASHER.jpg
SPRING FOR CATCH.jpg
4 HOOKS & CATCHES.jpg
T34 85 HOOKS & CATCHES.jpg