Wireless placement

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Wireless placement

Post by Adrian Harris »

I've recently bought a couple of the Panzerwerk Mk 19 radios, mainly on a whim as I seem to have mostly Allied vehicles, but it made me do a little investigation into the wireless positioning for the M2/M3.

The US M2 pictures seem to have the wireless sitting on tops of the forward stowage bins, without much in the way of weather protection.

In a couple of the M3 pictures the wireless and antenna mount seem to be further back, over the fuel tanks.

I presume the US vehicles would be using one of the SCR model radios but would UK vehicles be kitted out with Mk 19, or would then need to use the SCR to keep the wireless net the same, especially if working in close contact with US troops ?

Adrian.

Tony Read

Post by Tony Read »

All British vehicles if fitted for radio (FFR) were equipped with British radios i.e. the 19 set or bigger. British halftracks were built by International and would be either M5's or M9's. I assume any inter-army comms would be at divisional level?

The SCR radio in the M3 normally went beside the fuel tank and therefore took up valuable crew space. These halftracks were therefore normally only seen in the HQ section.
For T19 halftrack restoration project go to: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stourvalleys ... rack_1.htm