full list of difference between late and early model

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
cedric meyer

full list of difference between late and early model

Post by cedric meyer »

Is somebody can tell, me point by point, the difference between late and early modell?

cedric.

Kent Wiik

Post by Kent Wiik »

Hi Cedrik

Not that simpel to say but here is a list in the German language that might give you a hint.

http://www.panther1944.de/Panther/panth ... ktion.html

Cheers
Kent

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Cedric

Without going into too much detail, the main external visual differences are:

1-Idler wheel :D
2- Exhaust pipes(no flame dissipater) Maybe had field expedient shields as in my photos and many others on the forum.
3-Welded exhaust guards as opposed to cast
4-Gun mantel, early Ausf G has no "chin" or bottom square part. It was to prevent enemy rounds from deflecting into deck.
5-Compass mount on turret center. The little block thingy.
6- sun/rain shield over rotating drivers vision port.
7-Crew compartment heater box over the intake fan was not until fall of 44(roughly)
8- Zimmerit post Sept 44(roughly) zimmerit was no longer applied.

By the end of summer 44 after the forced exodus from Normandy, and France as a whole, Earlier production Ausf G Panthers in the West were few, as survivors were extremely limited after the collapse of the Western front.

All that being said, the Germans were using any parts they could get their hands on and some late Panthers had round mantel, cast exhaust guards etc.

I'm sure I got something wrong in there and Kent's chart is a great source of what changes took place and when but I hope this helps

All the best

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

cedric meyer

Post by cedric meyer »

Yes, this is it, i was looking for a complete list of external visual differences...thank you very much...