Comet Vent

Forum for discussion relating to the Comet
Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Comet Vent

Post by Steve Stuart »

Hi all
I am starting top downwards with the engine vent, as it is key to rebuilding the rear deck armour to allow for side plates that take away the curved edge. The vent is made from 3mm aluminium sheet and I cut the folds with a dremel drill to create a recess for using milliput to simulate the weld.

I have an information pack from Bovington that had the relevant plans for the rear armour, and I used Stephen Whites process for enlarging plans, and my wife's A3 photocopier!

I have made the milled the 10mm strip out hollow, so that the sound from the speakers can come through a hole that I will also make in the armour, in a direct line to make them loud and clear!

The next stage will be to remake the side plates, some thing that I hope to get done before Christmas.

Nick Farrugia

Re: Comet Vent

Post by Nick Farrugia »

Hi steve
nice job you have done on the vent casing ,a lot of work has gone into that , very good.
You deffinately want that lovely engine sound to be herd i think its one of the best engine sounds ever.
Regards nick

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

H all
The next stage is to attach the vent.

I plucked up the courage to cut the original side plates and then refit new plates that better reflect the original to filets that I milled to fit into the corner of the angle.

The forward edge of the top armour needed extending and then new forward hatches cut to fit the space created.
I hope to do some more tidying up, including making new handles for the hatches before Christmas if I can find the time.

However Mince Pies are the next priority, does any one make 1/6th scale cake tins....?!

Best Wishes Steve

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

I will have to make Mince Pies tomorrow night as I have now sorted out the under side supports of the engine deck and made some more handles for the forward engine hatches, which will now need to be attached once other things are cooling down......!
The rod in my last photo is dead useful, I have attached a spoke magnet from a bicycle computer on to a lenght of steel and it is veryuseful for recovering nuts or bolts that have fallen down into the hull of the tank.
All t4he best
Steve