Help with the diff lube

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 222
Mr Michael Shaw

Help with the diff lube

Post by Mr Michael Shaw »

Thanks for the steering help. I assembled all of my electronics on the chassis and was excited for my first test drive. The motor and center transaxel turned but, much to my disappointment, the vehicle did not move. I read through the comments about diff lube and slopped some standard chassis lubricant into every open orifice (I am a doctor so I think that way) and... nothing moved. My 222 is on a flat paved surface and I would have thought that it would only have a problem in rough terrain. So, I guess I have to take this lubricant issue seriously!

I assume that I have to find a 100,000 weight lubricant. Am I likely to find that at an auto parts store or do I need to get this through a specialty shop? Do I put the same weight into the front, rear and center? Do I just pack it in the open diff or do I have to disassemble anything? Do I just leave the diff open or do I have to cover the top to seal the compartment?

Sorry for all of the stupid questions but I am totally new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Hi Micheal.

Sorry to hear your test drive didn't work :cry:

If the motor and central diff is turning, you should be able to see which of the drive axles is turning, as that is where all the motor power is being used - that should point you towards the wheel which isn't working properly.

Re diff fluid, you'll need to get that from an RC car/buggy store. I found some FastTrax 500K weight fluid on ebay recently but as I don't have a working chassis yet I didn't buy it.

You can also get spare "Hobao Hyper" diff kits of eBay, which would allow you to see how all the parts go together without performing surgery :wink: on your existing ones. You will need to get all the gears and shafts out and cleaned up if you want to change the diff oil in them.

Here's an online run through for building a diff:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/hobao/h ... step1.html

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Oh, and check VERY carefully that non of the little cross pins has fallen out of the ball ends of the drive shafts - BTDT :oops:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ad Wouterse
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ad Wouterse »

Hi Michael,

Your 222 should drive fine on a normal surface with the standard differentials. So you should search for some kind of mechanical problem in the drive train.
Is the centre diff mounted in the correct position ?
Does the transaxle gear engage the gear on the centre diff ?
Are the steel pins (3 x 12 mm.) securely glued into the ball ends of the drive shafts ?
Etc.
Take your time to check everything from the transaxle (layshaft) towards the wheels.
Good luck !
Cheers,
Ad

Mr Michael Shaw

Thanks!

Post by Mr Michael Shaw »

Thank you Ad and Adrian for your help. It required a combination of both of your suggestions but I finally got the 222 for its maiden journey tonight. Appreciate the advice.

Michael

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Great news - glad you're on the move now :D

Adrian.