Help with 222 steering

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 222
Mr Michael Shaw

Help with 222 steering

Post by Mr Michael Shaw »

I am a newbee and a Yank to boot. I have a problem with my steering servo. The neutral position is 12 o'clock (toward the front). Steering left is 9 o'clock and right is 3 o'clock. The problem is that both the left turn and right turn pull the connecting rod backwards making it steer left. That would not be so bad if it were a Soviet vehicle. :D It seems like the servo should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise to work but that makes the steering mechanism hit the side rail. Any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

[img]
[/img]
[/img]

Ad Wouterse
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ad Wouterse »

Hi Michael,

The servo should be mounted as shown on your picture "steering 2".
If the servoarm touches the side rail you should remove some material from the rail.
In neutral position the servoarm should be square towards the rail. If this is not the case, then you need to remove the screw holding the arm, pull off the arm, and rotate/place it into the correct position.

Line up the front and rear wheels, then adjust the steering rods between the servo and the servosaver (front axle)/servo angle (rear axle) to the correct length.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Ad

Jan_Donadoni
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Jan_Donadoni »

Confirmed. Position 2
Confirmed, you have to remove some material from the chassis (also stated in the instructions manual such possibility).
The real BAD work comes then :perfect and proper alignment of all 4 tires.
I am just in the same position with my 222.
All motion pack mounted on the chassis, hope by the summer end to have the chassis driving around.
The upper structure seems to be much easier, just standard assembly and finishing.

Mr Michael Shaw

Thank you

Post by Mr Michael Shaw »

Thanks very much for the help. I have to get this one finished before my Panzer IV arrives!