Where to put the batteries ?

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Allan Webster

Where to put the batteries ?

Post by Allan Webster »

My half-track is set up as an M3A1 and is already running on two 12v 7Ah batteries. At present the batteries and, worse, their wiring are simply in full view because the two storage compartments/fuel tanks to front left and right of the passenger compartment are too small to accommodate them. An obvious solution is to simply build larger fuel tanks to cover the batteries. My main problem with doing this is that I spent a fair amount of money on extra detailing items from Armorpax and Mike Stanndard. If I (we) go to the trouble of the excellent detailing that comes with the model and with the after market add-ons then it's not easy to accept the idea of obviously over-sized fuel tanks, which are a much larger "detail" than all the troublesome little fiddly bits.

Has anyone found a better soultion to fitting batteries to a M3 ?
I have been looking for smaller or slimmer batteries but it is going to be very hard to find anything that fits within the space and gives an acceptable running time.
Allan

jim beer

halftrack

Post by jim beer »

Hi Alan would a trailer be an option
regards Jim

Allan Webster

Post by Allan Webster »

Not a bad idea , thanks Jim. I've also been looking at long thin 12v batteries too. I can fit 2 x 2.2 Ah batteries down each side, giving 24v and 4.4 Ah overall, without needing to modify anything. I'm not too sure whether 4.4 Ah will be enough though. Alternatively I can fit 2 x 4 Ah down each side, for 8Ah and 24V. These batteries need about 8mm more width than is available and are higher than the sides of the storage boxes. The excess height of the batteries could, of course, can easily be disguised with stowage. Perhaps moving the inside panel of the storage compartments in by 8mm on each side will be the least noticeable route.

But I still suspect that someone out there has thought up a much tidier solution. The 24V battery recommended on another thread by Richie sound ideal but I just can't think of anywhere to fit a single battery of that size without it being obvious.

Allan

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

hi Allan,
This may be a dumb question, but will any batteries fit under the front hood on the M3? I think this is the arrangement of the SDKFZ 7, to have the main battery under the hood (bonnet)? I have neither model, but saw Vince Abbotts build where he put the SDKFZ 7 battery under the front hood. Just thinking out loud. :(