Easy Eight No22

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
David Hartwell
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 287 times

Re: Easy Eight No22

Post by David Hartwell »

Onwards we go.
Marked for where the sloped edges are going to be.
Marked for where the sloped edges are going to be.
Filed like so.
Filed like so.
Then rounded the sides.
Then rounded the sides.
Then matched the bottom edge and corners to the insert.
Then matched the bottom edge and corners to the insert.
Then did a 1mm skim of filler on the top edge to close the gap up a bit and filled the top corners so they are slightly higher than the cut out in the middle.
Then did a 1mm skim of filler on the top edge to close the gap up a bit and filled the top corners so they are slightly higher than the cut out in the middle.
Filling and softening the bevel edges.
Filling and softening the bevel edges.
On the back I filled the cut out I had done. Think I was following a picture of an earlier turret. I think that's flat on these later ones but happy to be corrected.
On the back I filled the cut out I had done. Think I was following a picture of an earlier turret. I think that's flat on these later ones but happy to be corrected.
A few pics.
A few pics.
9F3ADA44-0D17-4B9A-A608-76E894432A9F.jpeg
9746FEC6-931C-4A21-A091-0C51A86AE088.jpeg
8DE3C874-96ED-453E-9E48-BD245C1E4A27.jpeg
Finally that fiddly little thing is now ready to texture.
Finally that fiddly little thing is now ready to texture.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Thought I would share with you a small part that I am working on in-between a host of other things, seems to be that busy time of year. Anyway here goes with what I naively thought was going to be easy. Oh how wrong.
The rear lifting eyes. Absolutely fine as they are but I wanted them upright and with more realistic feet.
The rear lifting eyes. Absolutely fine as they are but I wanted them upright and with more realistic feet.
Started off by cutting and filing the base off and rounding the bottom of the legs.
Started off by cutting and filing the base off and rounding the bottom of the legs.
Then had these little angled blocks made.
Then had these little angled blocks made.
Then filed the bottom of the legs to 4mm diameter leaving lots of wiggle room as I didn't know the height required at this point.
Then filed the bottom of the legs to 4mm diameter leaving lots of wiggle room as I didn't know the height required at this point.
With the blocks attached to the deck, the hooks plug in like so.
With the blocks attached to the deck, the hooks plug in like so.
I am not going to pretend that was easy. It was an absolute nightmare filing them to that initial shape given all the angles involved.
I am not going to pretend that was easy. It was an absolute nightmare filing them to that initial shape given all the angles involved.
I could now work out the height of the feet and hook that was required.
I could now work out the height of the feet and hook that was required.
Marked for the height to be filed too.
Marked for the height to be filed too.
Filed height down and gentle curves on the ends and sides filed.
Filed height down and gentle curves on the ends and sides filed.
Took a little bit off the bottom of the hook part legs and once happy with the final height bonded the hook into the feet ensuring it was at the correct angle. The part in line with the lifting eye is the grill support, for want of a better description.
Took a little bit off the bottom of the hook part legs and once happy with the final height bonded the hook into the feet ensuring it was at the correct angle. The part in line with the lifting eye is the grill support, for want of a better description.
I had these made at the same time as the feet. Like the feet I had them made bigger than required because I didn't know the finished height and width required.
I had these made at the same time as the feet. Like the feet I had them made bigger than required because I didn't know the finished height and width required.
With the final lifting eye height now known I cut and filed the top down to its correct height. I think I will reduce the width by 1mm each side but still pondering on that at the moment.Always better to stop and think as its easy to file off but not so easy to put back on.
With the final lifting eye height now known I cut and filed the top down to its correct height. I think I will reduce the width by 1mm each side but still pondering on that at the moment.Always better to stop and think as its easy to file off but not so easy to put back on.
Initial blending between the hook and feet. Still a lot more filling and shaping to do but I'm pretty sure they will work out.The line I have marked is where the layers of weld will go up to hopefully. So much to think about.
Initial blending between the hook and feet. Still a lot more filling and shaping to do but I'm pretty sure they will work out.The line I have marked is where the layers of weld will go up to hopefully. So much to think about.
That is it for now but slowly getting there. Back soonish when they are completed.
That is it for now but slowly getting there. Back soonish when they are completed.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1627 times

Post by simon_manning »

Excellent work, regards simon manning.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Thank you for the comment Simon.
A quick update.
I showed you a few posts ago the .50cal pedestal base. To finish off I had this top part made.
I showed you a few posts ago the .50cal pedestal base. To finish off I had this top part made.
Fits to the base like so.
Fits to the base like so.
First marked up for filing the front corners off.
First marked up for filing the front corners off.
Like so.
Like so.
Then rounded the top and bottom edges leaving the middle flat.
Then rounded the top and bottom edges leaving the middle flat.
Folded down.
Folded down.
The .50 cal mount sits snuggly in the pedestal.
The .50 cal mount sits snuggly in the pedestal.
That leads me to the rear deck where I am knee deep in mods. The round bit in the middle of the spanner. I didn't want to see that fixing and the round bit isn't high enough to get a retaining pin in it.
That leads me to the rear deck where I am knee deep in mods. The round bit in the middle of the spanner. I didn't want to see that fixing and the round bit isn't high enough to get a retaining pin in it.
As luck would have it the old pedestal is the same diameter.
As luck would have it the old pedestal is the same diameter.
Drilled a hole through.
Drilled a hole through.
The original hole size was correct for an m6 thread, so ran a tap down it.
The original hole size was correct for an m6 thread, so ran a tap down it.
Then drilled out approx 6mm of thread to make it look like a tube.
Then drilled out approx 6mm of thread to make it look like a tube.
Then cut to length required and threadlocked a cut down set screw in.
Then cut to length required and threadlocked a cut down set screw in.
Little retaining pin out of a pop rivet.
Little retaining pin out of a pop rivet.
That was the look I was after. That's it for now. Lots to come on the rear deck mods over the next few posts.
That was the look I was after. That's it for now. Lots to come on the rear deck mods over the next few posts.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 752 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Excellent details David. Very nice.
Bob

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Thanks for the comment Bob.
Onwards we go.
Started off by making up the grills to see what I had to work with. Impressive little sub assembly. I will be replacing the hinges with the bar set up and decided to add extra cross bars to the grill.
Started off by making up the grills to see what I had to work with. Impressive little sub assembly. I will be replacing the hinges with the bar set up and decided to add extra cross bars to the grill.
Whilst waiting for the bits and pieces  to turn up worked out the bolt spacing and marked out for drilling .
Whilst waiting for the bits and pieces to turn up worked out the bolt spacing and marked out for drilling .
Lots of old holes to make good further down the road.
Lots of old holes to make good further down the road.
Then added a 2x6mm fake panel lip.
Then added a 2x6mm fake panel lip.
There was a couple of spare bars with the grills so made up a little jig and made some handles out of one of them.
There was a couple of spare bars with the grills so made up a little jig and made some handles out of one of them.
Fitted like so.
Fitted like so.
The bits for the grills to sit on unfortunately weren't wide enough to get fixings in which I wanted to add.
The bits for the grills to sit on unfortunately weren't wide enough to get fixings in which I wanted to add.
Made up some replacement ones.
Made up some replacement ones.
Checking the grills are level with the deck.
Checking the grills are level with the deck.
Then made some handles out of steel.
Then made some handles out of steel.
Tacked on the back and made good. Also plugged the inner hinge hole and made good as I won't be needing that.
Tacked on the back and made good. Also plugged the inner hinge hole and made good as I won't be needing that.
Extra bars arrived, thank you Monique. Filed the little cut outs in the corners.
Extra bars arrived, thank you Monique. Filed the little cut outs in the corners.
I think that will look neater where the bars end.
I think that will look neater where the bars end.
Ready for final assembly. Back soon.
Ready for final assembly. Back soon.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

A little more on the grills.
Cleaned the outer frames up then a couple of coats of Zinga on the mating surfaces, don't want any nasty rust sneaking in there.
Cleaned the outer frames up then a couple of coats of Zinga on the mating surfaces, don't want any nasty rust sneaking in there.
Then fixed the two parts together to keep them square and spot welded all the way round.
Then fixed the two parts together to keep them square and spot welded all the way round.
Dressed all the welds back like so.
Dressed all the welds back like so.
Then carefully filed and de burred the laser cut holes in the cross bars. It makes life a lot easier sliding the round bars through spending time on those.
Then carefully filed and de burred the laser cut holes in the cross bars. It makes life a lot easier sliding the round bars through spending time on those.
Then found a suitable chunk of flat plate and fixed the frame to it. Cling film along the top edge and bonded in the outer bars.
Then found a suitable chunk of flat plate and fixed the frame to it. Cling film along the top edge and bonded in the outer bars.
Then added those two.
Then added those two.
Then slide the next bar up to its position with the glue on the round bars, you can just see it there . Each time pushing it into the frame until it had cured. I Used that 60 sec adhesive for the first time to give myself a little wiggle/panic time.
Then slide the next bar up to its position with the glue on the round bars, you can just see it there . Each time pushing it into the frame until it had cured. I Used that 60 sec adhesive for the first time to give myself a little wiggle/panic time.
Checking the cross bars are still straight as I go. They bend very easily and I didn't want the finished thing looking like a bunch of bananas.
Checking the cross bars are still straight as I go. They bend very easily and I didn't want the finished thing looking like a bunch of bananas.
Added cling film for the final one so as not to accidentally bond the two parts together.
Added cling film for the final one so as not to accidentally bond the two parts together.
Then two at a time inserted the bars in, popped it into the frame, wiped any excess adhesive of with  cotton buds and had a cup of tea while they were curing. Then repeated until they were all in.
Then two at a time inserted the bars in, popped it into the frame, wiped any excess adhesive of with cotton buds and had a cup of tea while they were curing. Then repeated until they were all in.
About a dozen cups of tea later, all in and left to fully cure overnight.
About a dozen cups of tea later, all in and left to fully cure overnight.
That makes quite a strong little structure once cured.
That makes quite a strong little structure once cured.
Filled and flatted the spot welds, prepped and initial primer. Just got to clean the paint off the little bonding areas and fix the two parts together. Hopefully finish them off today.
Filled and flatted the spot welds, prepped and initial primer. Just got to clean the paint off the little bonding areas and fix the two parts together. Hopefully finish them off today.

Steve Norris
Been liked: 688 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi David
Excellent job you are doing with the build , it will be a masterpiece when complete.
Keep up the posts as it’s inspiration for the rest of us.
Regards
Steve

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Thank you for the very generous comment Steve, I'm glad you are enjoying the journey. Given the incredible quality of the builds on here I'm not sure it will be in the masterpiece category. I shall just keep doing my best and see where it ends up. There is still a long, long way to go.

So to finally finish off these grills.
If we go back to the beginning when I first built them up. I noticed when you pushed the cross bars in they were proud at the back.
If we go back to the beginning when I first built them up. I noticed when you pushed the cross bars in they were proud at the back.
And level at the front.
And level at the front.
I wanted them proud at the front like that. So I measured the amount that was sticking out of the underside.
I wanted them proud at the front like that. So I measured the amount that was sticking out of the underside.
Worked out what size shim was required, allowing for the adhesive thickness and cut some 2x2 shims.
Worked out what size shim was required, allowing for the adhesive thickness and cut some 2x2 shims.
Loctited in like so.
Loctited in like so.
Another advantage of adding the extra bars is the top and bottom edges become fully bonded.
Another advantage of adding the extra bars is the top and bottom edges become fully bonded.
Fixed back on the plate with cling film underneath and applied adhesive to the frame.
Fixed back on the plate with cling film underneath and applied adhesive to the frame.
And firmly pushed the inner part in.
And firmly pushed the inner part in.
Checking its in level.
Checking its in level.
72C0429A-DB88-449B-AE17-CB3AD03E0265.jpeg
Once cured, cleaned up and repainted. Nice and flush at the back.
Once cured, cleaned up and repainted. Nice and flush at the back.
And proud at the front.
And proud at the front.
A little preview of what I'm up to next. I have decided on the size of the bars and tube and used some scrap pieces to get an idea of the mounting block sizes.
A little preview of what I'm up to next. I have decided on the size of the bars and tube and used some scrap pieces to get an idea of the mounting block sizes.
That's just a scrap trial piece. I can see it needs to be longer and thinner, I think. Anyway I shall be back when there has been some meaningful progress.
That's just a scrap trial piece. I can see it needs to be longer and thinner, I think. Anyway I shall be back when there has been some meaningful progress.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

A little update.
Once I had decided on the final size of that pivot block I could position and mount the wrench.
Once I had decided on the final size of that pivot block I could position and mount the wrench.
The original mounting point was drilled out to 6mm.
The original mounting point was drilled out to 6mm.
Then marked for the cut out at the other end.
Then marked for the cut out at the other end.
Filed like so.
Filed like so.
Out of the piece I trimmed off the front mudguard, nothing going to waste, made a little bracket.
Out of the piece I trimmed off the front mudguard, nothing going to waste, made a little bracket.
Like so.
Like so.
That plugs in the underside.
That plugs in the underside.
And comes through like that.
And comes through like that.
Trimmed down and tapped the deck for some fixings.
Trimmed down and tapped the deck for some fixings.
Then to fill the hole made up a little plug. That's a piece the same thickness as the deck and a piece of material the same thickness as the bracket.
Then to fill the hole made up a little plug. That's a piece the same thickness as the deck and a piece of material the same thickness as the bracket.
Fixed in place.
Fixed in place.
It will require a tiny bit of filler between the deck and the plug at final prep.
It will require a tiny bit of filler between the deck and the plug at final prep.
Wrench fitted.
Wrench fitted.
May only be a little part but pleased how that worked out.
May only be a little part but pleased how that worked out.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Slow but steady progress.
Started with a 10x10 bar and cut some pieces for the main blocks.
Started with a 10x10 bar and cut some pieces for the main blocks.
Filed to length required.
Filed to length required.
Then drilled all the holes and tapped one of the 2mm fixing holes, that will be a dummy. The other one will be drilled through the deck when everything is lined up.
Then drilled all the holes and tapped one of the 2mm fixing holes, that will be a dummy. The other one will be drilled through the deck when everything is lined up.
Then marked all the way round for the fake join line.
Then marked all the way round for the fake join line.
Carefully scoring all the way round with the sharp point of a file.
Carefully scoring all the way round with the sharp point of a file.
That was a trial piece I did to see what it would look like once painted.
That was a trial piece I did to see what it would look like once painted.
Then marked and filed the top surface down to the height required.
Then marked and filed the top surface down to the height required.
Fixed on like so. Those are only temporary hex fixings, really don't like the look of them. Something else to order. The button head is holding a little temporary plate underneath to keep the grill level at the moment.
Fixed on like so. Those are only temporary hex fixings, really don't like the look of them. Something else to order. The button head is holding a little temporary plate underneath to keep the grill level at the moment.
Made a cutting and filing block for doing the tubes.
Made a cutting and filing block for doing the tubes.
A little clamping screw to hold the tube in place.
A little clamping screw to hold the tube in place.
I can now file them nice and square.
I can now file them nice and square.
Started with a 6mm piece at the top.
Started with a 6mm piece at the top.
Then the rest will be 5mm. All of these will be bonded to the inner pivot bar. A little shim washer added to stop th tube binding with the block.
Then the rest will be 5mm. All of these will be bonded to the inner pivot bar. A little shim washer added to stop th tube binding with the block.
And the same the other end. Now I have them in place I can get the measurement for the sloping bits that attach to the grills. Back soonish.
And the same the other end. Now I have them in place I can get the measurement for the sloping bits that attach to the grills. Back soonish.