Sd Kfz 7 new model

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 7 Half Track
graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 153 times

Sd Kfz 7 new model

Post by graham pipe »

Hello all.
Great to see that the 8 ton is being re-released after all these years.

Some of you may know that the original kit, sold back in 2001 (ish), was mastered from my own real vehicle - a 1942 Borgward manufactured artillery body style vehicle. This had been captured intact by Canadian forces in July 1944 where it was part of an 88 battery defending Carpiquet airfield at Caen, Normandy, France. The captors shipped it back to Canada for evaluation where it ultimately became an object for recovery exercises by the Army engineers. Being turned upside down, dragged around and generally abused, the bodywork got flattened, it lost a track and front axle, the cylinder head was removed (for some unknown reason) and the engine left exposed to the elements for decades. And it was in this state that I acquired the wreck in 1996 and spent 7 years bringing it back from the dead.

Armortek's Mark came down to my workshops in West Sussex (southern UK) to copiously measure and photograph the rolling chassis, access my extensive documentation and produce working drawings for the bodywork based on various sections I'd acquired from around Europe. Some of these original body parts were incorporated into a new reproduction body but that's another story.

So, getting onto the new model, I'm so happy to see that Kian has changed the track wheel design as the originals were a good representation but not exactly correct. Ditto all the other changes he has described in a previous posting.

One point, however. The new tracks seem to be being offered in an odd number. There are 54 links per track so a total of 108 in all. Having dismantled 6 vehicle's worth of tracks, I'm somewhat familiar with these so if anybody would like more information, photos, etc, then please get in touch. I've got nigh on 700 detailed photos of the vehicle's restoration.

Attached are some shots of the tracks undergoing dismantling using a custom designed 100 ton hydraulic rig. Out of the 12 tracks split in this manner, virtually every pin was seized solid and required anything up to 60 tons of effort to get them moving. Being German - superbly engineered but overly complicated - each link features a hardened steel pin, 2 needle roller bearings, twin grease seals and a thrust disc with a short spigot. The latter engages with the adjacent track link so as the track flexes, the bearing is rotated through around 40 degrees and thus the wear is not concentrated on the same needle rollers all the time. Additionally, the tracks could be disassembled at major service intervals and the bearings rotated so a fresh face would take the wear and pressure. The track links were cast steel with hollow horns which were grease reservoirs for the bearings. These were filled by removing a low profile, tapered shoulder bolt in the centre of the each link, screwing in a Tecalmit, flat head nipple and pumping with medium viscosity grease. The tracks and bearings were full when slight oozing could be discerned from the grease seals.

One had to remanufacture all the internal components - a somewhat time consuming exercise! As a one-off, this would have been prohibitively expensive but, thankfully, I was restoring 3 more vehicles for a customer so a large batch manufacture was a more realistic proposition.

For one of the 4 vehicles I restored, we didn't have enough double wheels so had to use damaged ones which had one good face. These were cut apart, the rivets gas torched off then two good halves joined by welding the hub and hot riveting the flanges. You can see the process in the photos.

Am really looking forward to seeing the new model and, as I say, I have an extensive detailed archive of material which would doubtless be of huge use to modellers in any scale. I'm hoping to produce downloadable files of this material so stay tuned.

All the best from Normandy.
Attachments
Ready for the scrap pile...
Ready for the scrap pile...
12.jpg (298.42 KiB) Viewed 363 times
2 good hubbed inner halves ready for their outers
2 good hubbed inner halves ready for their outers
12a.jpg (218.67 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Location pegs and bolts holding it together for welding
13.jpg (282.25 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Tyres repaired, wheels blasted and red oxide primed
Tyres repaired, wheels blasted and red oxide primed
16.jpg (232.59 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Top coated in RAL 7021 for a pre 1942 vehicle
Top coated in RAL 7021 for a pre 1942 vehicle
17.jpg (246.07 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Rolling chassis on its way to Beltring 2001 as a static exhibit
Rolling chassis on its way to Beltring 2001 as a static exhibit
Parked next to a Famo for size comparison - Beltring 2001
Parked next to a Famo for size comparison - Beltring 2001
Separated links waiting sand blasting
Separated links waiting sand blasting
In the beginning there was rust... The wrecked chassis recently arrived from Canada.  Lots of parts to find!
In the beginning there was rust... The wrecked chassis recently arrived from Canada. Lots of parts to find!
00.jpg (259.85 KiB) Viewed 365 times
2 completely seized and non flexible tracks waiting attention. Not even driving a tractor over them would get them to flex
2 completely seized and non flexible tracks waiting attention. Not even driving a tractor over them would get them to flex
100 ton pin pushing rig in use with electric hydraulic pump.
100 ton pin pushing rig in use with electric hydraulic pump.
Pushing drift and packing pieces getting the pins moving
Pushing drift and packing pieces getting the pins moving
Water ingress under the rubber pads had caused some corrosion and holes so new metal has been welded in place
Water ingress under the rubber pads had caused some corrosion and holes so new metal has been welded in place
Newly made internal parts - hardened steel pin, cotter pins, needle roller bearings and spigoted thrust discs
Newly made internal parts - hardened steel pin, cotter pins, needle roller bearings and spigoted thrust discs
Assembled into strips of 6 links for joining on the vehicle
Assembled into strips of 6 links for joining on the vehicle
Panzer 4 jack being used to push free ends together for joining with final pin
Panzer 4 jack being used to push free ends together for joining with final pin
Double wheel cut apart to salvage 1 good half to make a complete wheel using a second salvaged half
Double wheel cut apart to salvage 1 good half to make a complete wheel using a second salvaged half
09.jpg (345.44 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Judicious use of the gas axe evident
Judicious use of the gas axe evident
Last edited by graham pipe on Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Damon Resch
Has liked: 708 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Sd Kfz 7 new model

Post by Damon Resch »

Graham,
I would love a set of your Sd Kfz 7 photo's if posting them to the forum proves to be unworkable.
Damon

Stanislav Yanev
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Stanislav Yanev »

Hello Graham
of course I would also love to have your photos of the original :D :D :D
stanislavyanev1980@gmail.com

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1014 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Graham is it possible that it's a file format issue? As another Sd.Kfz. 7 enthusiast I would like to see these photos as well

I've loaded a photo as a test.

Jerry
Attachments
My7_01s.jpg
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by graham pipe »

Hi Jerry and Damon.Thanks for your messages - the 8 ton model looks great!

I've tried uploading the photos in JPEG format but will try again tomorrow.

The photos are worth waiting for!!!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 752 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Graham
Great story on your real SDKFZ - Id like to see the photos as well.

I use an image hosting site, its easy. https://postimages.org/

Bob