Blank firer

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 526 times

Re: Blank firer

Post by yves mouton »

Hello,

I have 3 blankfires, one in my tiger 1, one in my king tiger and one extra ( that i not sell )
Blankfire shooting is a lot of fun if you know what your doing. i also know the owner of the damage tiger.
The blanks that he put in his blankfire are twice as long as the original Armortek blanks! So the blanks could not open good when firing, because
they are to long for the chamber. He also did not use vaseline on the top of the 6 blanks. If you not use vaseline on the top of the blanks they can
go of all 6 in one single shot, because black powder is very explosive. That's the reason of the explosion of the turret.

About the black powder residue i made a bag over the blankfire drum from a fire blanket to keep the residue in the bag and not al over
the turret and inside the tank.

Best regards Yves

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Thank you Yves for confirming it was the blanks and also that it was not due to a failure of the mechanism but due to a failure of correct operating procedures.
Pyrotechnics can be a lot of fun but also damn dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and treat them as a toy.
Luckily nobody got phyisically hurt.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 919 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I occasionally shoot blackpowder, 'cap and ball' percussion revolvers here. Black powder, enjoyable reproductions of Remingtons
and Colts from the 1800s. It is SOP once powder and ball is loaded to fill in the end of each cylinder with a grease-like material to
prevent 'flash over', before seating the percussion cap. It's common to use something like Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening! Makes a bit
of a mess while shooting but actually eases cleanup at the end of the day as it also helps keeping powder residue soft.

I saw just once the result of careless loading of such a pistol, fortunately there were only 2 un-fired chambers involved but the results
were fearsome. Injury to the pistol operator, damage to the arm and the operator never returned to the hobby.

No room for error with arms and their constituent bits...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 572 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi guys,

there are also other possibilities for simulating gun fire than blank firer, which are forbidden in Germany (in most situations)

kind regards
Gerhard

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

I think aloso the gunpoweder residue in the tank caused corrosion to the steel hull.

KimLarsen
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by KimLarsen »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:53 pm
Hi guys,

there are also other possibilities for simulating gun fire than blank firer, which are forbidden in Germany (in most situations)

What do you use instead of black powder?????

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hi,
The photo looks like it was taken at one of the Hausen am Bach meets that were organised by Reinhold.
Tube-type fireworks that once ignited sent a steady stream down-range until the tube was expended.
Maybe not realistic but entertaining for the crowd.
This would likely have been part of the "battle"-simulation after the vehicle parade around and through the village on the Saturday afternoon.

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 572 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

IMHO a Li-Ion-accu cannot explode, it can only burn or smolder. Even a Li-polymer-accu cannot explode, but only puff out, something more than burn, somethng less than explode. And all together is -in a model typical size- not at all able to lift off the tank turret in the shown way. Only powerful explosives like black powder can cause such an effect.

As a longstanding airplane modeller I saw more than one LiPo accu puffing out and incending the model, but never cause an explosion.
kind regards
Gerhard