My New Toy

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 735 times
Been liked: 1717 times

Re: My New Toy

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Recently Martin Hofmann posted a photo of a model Tiger 1 on my build log:

viewtopic.php?p=99291#p99291

Loved the cradle thingy for the drum so Martin, I copied the idea, and here is the result:
20240321_145652.jpg
Why did I do it? Absolutely no idea. I guess I am starting to get bored with the cats as my only company.

Am I happy with the final result? Yes I am really happy. It's that satisfied feeling one gets when you do something yourself. Having said that it does not compare to the metal drum model. The metal model is far superior than my plastic model.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

So lately I've been itching to 3d model something. Something which gives me a challenge but not something which takes too long to do. Some time ago I tried to do the "Flammenvernichter" which is found on the late Panthers. Unfortunately I could not find any information on it on the internet so the exercise was scrapped.

Yesterday I decided to try again and do a deeper search. Managed to find the outside diameter of this insert and the number of slats used. Also found a small line drawing showing the profile of the slats. The rest was eye-ball from photos and some assumptions.

Finished it this morning and was going to make a change to the thickness of the slats as they looked too thick.
Flammenvernichter v5.jpg
Flammenvernichter v5.1.jpg
This was never meant to be 3d printed but but a thought crossed my mind. If I leave the thickness of the slats as is and scale it down to 1/6th scale then the thickness of the slats would become 0.5mm. Will it work with a filament printer? Decided to give it a try. If worse comes to worse I will end up with a spaghetti mess on the print bed.

I was really surprised that it managed to print.
Off the print bed with no cleanup
Off the print bed with no cleanup
I believe that Armortek will be including this part in this summer's Jadgpanther release. Curious to see how they go about it.

Now back to some K-Dramas and anime.

Vince

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1771 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Tim Carr »

There were several reasons that when I saw the Anycubic Kobra 2 Neo 3d printer in the mall that I had to have it. This thread was one of them.

So, I'm now the owner of 2 - 3d printers, above and waiting for an Anycubic Korba 2 Max to get here on Monday.

Up to this point I have printed a Chess set and a couple of 1/6 scale MG34 machine guns with the round ammo/belt holders and 6 track links.

Working on some 1/6 scale tank parts also.

If anyone has any links to share on files for 1/6 scale parts that they can share it would be great.

Vince Thanks for starting me in a new area. THANKS

Later Tim

Need to add I'm "learning" Prusa Slicer. Or trying to learn??
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1264 times
Been liked: 1454 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> Curious to see how they go about it.

The aftermarket ones I have seen are a simple disc of brass, sliced part way through into segments and then twisted to give the effect. I think two discs placed on top of each other and interleaved would probably give enough vanes to be passable.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Marco Peter
Been liked: 703 times

Post by Marco Peter »

If it's only an insert, resin print will be more than fine for those perfect details, and it doesn't need to be able to withstand any force, right?
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Marco

I am worried that the warmth of the air being generated by the smoke generator would deform those thin slats.

Vince

Marco Peter

Post by Marco Peter »

Good point!

Worth a try, resin is cheap. :-P
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Ever since I made that 200L fuel drum with some minor dents I was always curious how I could simulate a major dent on the edge as if it fell from the back of a truck and hit the ground.

But how do I do it and keep things simple. I am not sure if I can do it with my CAD. I guess it would be above my experience level. I am sure that the model could be exported to some other software like Blender and deformed there. But that means installing new software on an already stretched out laptop and learning how to use it. Definitely not a simple solution.

A couple of days ago I had a crazy idea. Printed a lid and a part of the drum as I had already thrown away the two defective drums I had already made and glued them together.

I then 'borrowed' a powerful hairdryer and applied heat to the edge I wanted to deform. I did not take too long to soften the PLA. Then stared pressing with my fingers to deform the edge. Simples.
20240514_152650.jpg
20240520_092031.jpg
20240520_092135.jpg
20240520_092208.jpg
Vince

Marco Peter

Post by Marco Peter »

Yes! Just try! Fiddle around, destroy stuff, find out, 9 out of 10 the result is either surprisingly cool or at least you learned something! :mrgreen:
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 733 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Sounds like you found the solution, hot air gun like used for heat strink would work too! That's one smashed barrel.
Best regards,
Bob

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 701 times
Been liked: 281 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:15 am
I am worried that the warmth of the air being generated by the smoke generator would deform those thin slats.
As resin is not a thermoplastic, it should not deform by heat. I encourage you to try!
A little too much is about right...

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 701 times
Been liked: 281 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Also, you may want to correct the typo:
feueRgefährlich
A little too much is about right...

Vince Cutajar