Neil's early Tiger 1 (2023)

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
neil graham
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Neil's early Tiger 1 (2023)

Post by neil graham »

Got a new toy, though haven't yet used it. I was a little shocked how many different Dremel's there were, so after a bit of research I decided on one that was well powered and had a reasonable amount of attachments included. The cordless had appeal, but I read multiple negative reviews, I have plenty of powerpoints and extension cables so this won't be a problem. There were some boxes that came with hundreds of attachements.....seemed like overkill to me.

First task with it will be to cut that notch in the jack clips.
thumbnail_IMG_5733.jpg
Finally managed several coats from all angles on most of the rear armour plate parts and have started to put them on. Some of the nuts & bolts are certainly a bit fiddly!

All the bolts & nuts will need touch up paint obviously.
thumbnail_IMG_5732.jpg

David Hartwell
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by David Hartwell »

Excellent choice of Dremel model. Did you get the flexible shaft that goes with it, I can highly recommend them. I find it much easier to use and get into awkward places.
Regards, Dave.

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 365 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Don't forget safety glasses when using dremel. Have fun.

neil graham

Post by neil graham »

Flexible shaft on the Dremel? To be honest I don't know... but it sounds like a worthy addition!

After adding the idler bolt covers (for want of a better name) I touched up all of the bolts and also gave the 'inside' of the exhaust armour plates & the exhaust covers another coat of dunkelgelb. I will give them two coats of matt varnish before putting them on.

Started the Michelle Pfeiffer holder things....they had a centre line that I struggled to sand off. I wasn't too fussed to see them, but if I could feel them they had to go, so I pulled the files out....made short work of it .
thumbnail_IMG_5735.jpg
Michelle Pfeiffer's are all scratched, degreased and etch primed now. Will fit them into the holders before I do the red oxide primer

I have to say, the toolbox surprised me a little. It is a thing of beauty!
thumbnail_IMG_5734.jpg

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 365 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

It would be nice to see the other feifel components. I have the very old white metal ones and am thinking of making new ones. Would like to see the pipes and tubes.

neil graham

Post by neil graham »

More Feiffel parts? Sure, hopefully the focus is good enough
thumbnail_IMG_5750.jpg
Loctiting the feiffel parts together was a little fiddly as it needed to be done in a very specific order.

1- do the main canisters into the holder, as shown here:
thumbnail_IMG_5738.jpg
2- push the canisters all the way into the holder, then twist them so you can put the joiner all the way into the 'upper' hole that goes all the way through, there is a small ridge in the middle which will stop it going all the way through.

3- apply loctite into the half hole, align the 'upper' holes of the two parts, then push the joiner through into the loctited part. Make sure the 'lower' holes of the canister & holder line up perfectly.
thumbnail_IMG_5739.jpg
4- do the other one, but make sure it is facing the other way..... I had a brief moment after just completing them that I forgot to check, but dumb luck was on my side! Sure they were not yet dry, but I need to double check things a bit more rigorously!
thumbnail_IMG_5740.jpg
These are now red oxide primed as well, ready for dunkelgelbing. I am off for a week on a road trip, so that will have to wait.

Was very pleased with how my first dremel action played out. I did spend the first 10 minutes figuring out how to put the attachment on....oh well, I know how it works now! After the dremel did a little bit of filing to try straighten it all out, but super happy!
thumbnail_IMG_5742.jpg