Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: New to me

Post by Peter Silcock »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 am
Peter Silcock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:49 pm
Sorry Jerry typo mistake. I reduced the gear to 34 tooth not 30. Involved a new X member as well. Whether you would get any benefit from just this mod without all the alterations to the tracks etc I don't know.
Sooooo Peter, tell me more about these aluminium tracks you spoke of! Do you have photos?

Jerry
The aluminium tracks avoid every problem you and others have encountered Jerry. In addition I found that the rubber tracks will split very quickly if you don't run the model on grass. They were a good solution for realism and accuracy but I found them not to be practical and they don't lie on the rollers correctly . Will post photos tomorrow as I'm away today.

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Piccies of tracks before being painted. Only a 20 footer in terms of scale appearance but much better for running.
Attachments
20240430_183136 (1).jpg
20240430_183146 (1).jpg
20240430_183257 (1).jpg
20240430_183321 (1).jpg

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Very interesting approach Peter. Strength and durability have a certain beauty all their own...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Thats cool - Nice solution Peter. Thanks for sharing.
b

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I haven't been sitting on the model over the last week or so. Assessing what I need that's missing in terms of what I'll ask what's available in Kian's spares supply versus what I can make myself. I'd like to bash together the M3 version; the original owner had focused on the M16 variant and so 'some' other parts have gone awol over the intervening years...namely most of the rear 'box' parts for the M3 but I remain hopeful...

So I've taken the hull to pieces and have spent days de(un?)-rusting many parts. I decided no matter if I'm going to use a steel part or not I'm going to prime them all; a re-occurrence of significant rain yesterday reinforced that idea. Hopefully tomorrow I can get to it.

Spent some while re-cleaning the rubber loops and chains after my ill fated attempt to use a silicon adhesive. This time I'm actually reading the instructions and minding them and giving loctite 410 a go. It was oddly rather difficult to find over here until I opened an account at Henkels directly..

So the tracks are reassembled and I'm letting them sit the requisite time.

These half tracks stir memories from my earliest days before I really knew just what they were- they symbolized US troops in the Good Fight in
WWII when I was but a wee lad. I wouldn't mind having more than one of these, different variations of course. So you can imagine how I voted on the recent poll....

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!