Churchill Mk3 number 67

Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
Gary Richardson
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 1427 times

Re: Churchill Mk3 number 67

Post by Gary Richardson »

Good morning

Just a photo showing the top coat being applied to the turret, this is a Mike Starmer mix of Tamiya acrylic paints to achieve the SCC15 used on the AVREs when upgraded before D-Day.

Regards
Gary
SCC15 Topcoat applied with a wide angled air brush
SCC15 Topcoat applied with a wide angled air brush
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson

Hi all

I finished top coating the turret this morning and while I was on a roll decided to get the turret lid welds done. As usual it is done with Milliput with the welds imprinted in lines going along the seams as per full size. The electrical tape ensures there is a minimal gap and is easily removed once the Milliput has set by pulling from one end. The tape thins as it stretched and pops out. I also finished making one of the drivers hatch brackets that holds the hatch in the open position. I used a magnet on the underside of the deck and M2 steel bolt through the bracket bottom. This works really well and the hatch stays open even when I give the deck a good shake.
See you at the open day.

Regards
Gary
Lid held open with bracket and magnet
Lid held open with bracket and magnet
Turret lid welds
Turret lid welds
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson

Good morning

A quick update regarding the turret welds. After letting the Milliput harden the tape was pulled until it stretched enough to come free. I did a little bit of trimming with a scalpel to ensure there was a slight gap between the welds and the turret roof.
The welds were red oxide primed and top coated. I am now working on completing all the hatch detailing but may have to wait until after Tiger day at the Tank Museum as I need a few more photos to confirm if the drivers rear hatch also had the curved lid latch like the one I made for the front section. I suspect it will have but it is difficult to see on the Mk4 example without hanging off the walkway :D .

Regards
Gary
P.S. Can anyone confirm if the cupola was welded to the turret top, the few photo close ups I have are not clear enough to see what type was used.
Top welds completed.
Top welds completed.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 711 times
Been liked: 1694 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I'm not expert on the churchill but do these help:

http://mapleleafup.net/vehicles/cac/croc_06.html

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-w ... ngton.html

They sort of look different from yours.

Vince

p.s. Now it dawned on me that you are doing a Mk3 and the ones i found are later variants. Sorry.

Will Roberts
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Will Roberts »

Hello Gary,

I have many photos of Mk III and Mk IV turrets and no evidence of any welds around the cupolas. My Bovington pictures are too large to upload here but if you want them send me a PM with your email address. I will see you at Tiger Day seeing as we are always bumping into each other.

Regards,
Will.

David Battson
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 230 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Gary,
I'm no expert, but wasn't that hatch unit/cupola supposed to rotate ? so no welds, though some seem to have a close fitting outer ring welded to the roof to protect from bullet splash.
David

Gary Richardson

Hi all

Thanks for the replies concerning the cupola. Research is ongoing but I am leaning towards the cupola being able to rotate. Although I have some photos of the Mk4 on the cast turret I want to make sure about the cupola on the Mk3 welded turret as on the AVRE.
Thanks Will, I look forward to seeing your photos. David, a bullet guard makes sense, perhaps that's what I can see in the old photos.
Vince, no problem. even on the Mk3 turret it may have been altered in 1944 when the AVRE conversions took place.

Thin Leather:
I have found a company that can supply A4 size pieces of leather in various thicknesses and colours. I have ordered a sheet of 0.5mm thick tan coloured calf hide to use for the hatch head guards. I will post photos once it arrives and I have made a padded guard.
The company is Leather4Craft based in the UK.

Regards
Gary