Newbie to the Panther

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Steve Cope
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Newbie to the Panther

Post by Steve Cope »

Thank you for the information, this is a massive learning curve, I have just brought a can of Upol System 20 for £19.99, which is a good price, everywhere else was £25, I have dry assembled the addons to the front Glazier and and rear panel, I think you are both right to do the suspension and wheels\tracks first as it does look repetative, and the weather in South Wales at the moment is definetly not for spraying.

Thank you for your time

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi All

Just taking a break from the assembling, (not much completed but enjoying it very much), going through the options packs and I am a bit confused.

It mentions a Light pack for front light (CodeXL1002) can not find light pack, ( RC in from Channel 6 ) is this the single front light on its own or there supposed to be other lights, besides the barrel and machine gun LEDs?

The instructions show the recoil servo and LED go into the recoil pack, the servo does not move when the main gun is fired through the 3 position switch.
Where does the machine gun servo go, is it RC out 2 to machine gun servo, and the machine gun LED to LED 2 or should this be a seperate Channel and not though the recoil pack as it says M/C RC in from Channel 7?

I have tried these servos in the recoil pack, but the servos do not move, the 3 position switch is working with the audio

I am running the Spektrum QQ18

Any help please

Many thanks

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3006 times

Post by Armortek »

The light pack for the Panther A is a single light for the front light. It is connected to a switch that plugs directly into the receiver.

The Machine gun servo also plugs directly into the Receiver.

With regards to recoil - make sure you are using the 24V to 5V converter to provide power to the Recoil Module and ensure that you use the leads provided and do not substitute them.

If you are still having issues then send an email to sales@armortek.co.uk with some photographs of the connections and units.

Kian
Armortek

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Thank you Kian

You say the Machine gun plugs directly into the receiver, I assume that it does not matter which channel so long as it is a 2 way switch, how does it sync up with the sound module, and where would the Machine gun LED plug into?

I Will double check that the leads are on the correct pins on the recoil module.

Many thanks

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi

Just dry fitting the turret together, thre seem to be big gaps at the joints how have other builder got over this hurdle or do I file the base to accomodate the curve for the base?

I can post pics if needed

Many thanks for any help

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 945 times
Been liked: 2012 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

I did file the high spots that should help and it’s easy to fill once you get things to your liking.

Gary Rafferty
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 442 times

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Steve Cope wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:13 pm
Hi

Just dry fitting the turret together, thre seem to be big gaps at the joints how have other builder got over this hurdle or do I file the base to accomodate the curve for the base?

I can post pics if needed

Many thanks for any help
Hi Steve

I filed the high spots to a different profile to make the turret fit together properly for some reason I cannot find the photos
However on my build log page 10 give you an idea on what I did assuming you issues are similar
Hope this helps

Cheers
Gary

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Thank you for the replys, I was thinking that I had to file to accomodate the base profile, just seems a lot to file down, Gary I have had a look at your post and definitely following, it is a wealth of info and pictures do speak a thousand words, Brian how is your Panther going, not seen a YouTube update on the Panther for a while

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 945 times
Been liked: 2012 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Hi Steve I have been flying airplanes look forward to getting back to tanks soon.

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi all,

Question about the cupola, rails, and periscopes and periscope covers on the turret, it says in the instructions to use loctite, is it loctite or Cyno?

Thanks

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1174 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

It doesn't really matter, but Loctite glues are designed for engineering jobs, whereas I've found some Cyano based superglues can become brittle over time, so vibration from running the tank can fracture them.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Thank you Adrian for the information, I have a bottle of oily glue, will this be ok?

Gary Rafferty
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 442 times

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Hi Steve,

I am doing my cupola at the moment I used normal super glue for the periscopes and will fill in the voids underneath (inside cupola) with a good quality mastic and will use the Loctite 638 for gluing all the metal periscope covers and machine gun rail
It's excellent for gluing metal to metal

Cheers
Gary

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Thanks Gary, please continue to update with pictures

Chris Hall
Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Steve -

Good to meet you at the Open Day, and I hope I gave you lots to think about with your Panther build !

I banged on relentlessly about research, as I always do :oops:. You can never have too many books ! To me, the following are the ones I think any self-respecting Panther owner needs on their bookshelf ..........

1. Germany's Panther Tank - the quest for combat supremacy (Thomas L Jentz and Hilary Louis Doyle)

Superb information going right back to the original technical drawings. Lists all the Panther variants, and the dates when when particular changes were made.

Jentz Doyle.JPG

2. Panther - External appearance and design changes (Roddy MacDougall and Martin Block)

Superb detail on how it looked - especially colour / paint schemes throughout the production run.

MacDougall Block.JPG

3. Panther and its variants (Walter J. Spielberger)

Another technical one, which gets right down into the 'oily bits'. Just what an ex-REME needs :wink:.

Spielberger.JPG

Other books (Osprey, Haynes) to taste. And, when you've settled on an actual tank, Unit histories. You can't beat an actual photograph.

Where to get these ? Do a Google search for availability and prices. eBay, Amazon and Abebooks are the obvious starters. But try Panzerwrecks.com - they have an excellent range.

Good luck with the build - I'll follow it with interest ! Perhaps, sometime, yours will run alngside Deserter ......

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)