Fitting a hex nut

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
Martin Donnison
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 46 times

Fitting a hex nut

Post by Martin Donnison »

Hi Guys, got my leopard delivered and been busy unpacking the vast amount of components.

I don’t know if anyone is building yet but if anybody is may I ask a question. I have a hex nut to fit but can’t workout how it’s going to fit.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1264 times
Been liked: 1454 times

Re: Fitting a hex nut

Post by Adrian Harris »

I'm not a Leopard owner but I would think more information is needed for anyone to be able to help.~

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Martin Donnison

Good point. I will take a picture in the morning and explain my problem.

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 871 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Hello Martin,

As Adrian already said, this problem needs a more detailed approach, as the Leo Kit has 3500 different screws.
And the reasons why a screw can´t be fitted are manyfold....
But by ruling out one by one the following (mechanical) issues, you might get closer to soving your problem:

1.) Screw is bigger or smaler that the hole it is supposed to be screwed into.
2.) Same can happen vise versa to the intended hole.
3). Screw doesn`t have a thread.
4.) Hole is lacking a thread.
5.) Screw thread is damaged.
6.) Hole thread is damaged.
7.) Hole is not deep enough.
8.) Hole is too deep.
9.) End of screw doesn´t protrude from the hole.
10.) If connecting two parts, maybe the two holes are not in alignment.
11.) Angle of insertion is not correct.
12.) Nut (if needed) is too smal for the screw.
13.) Nut (if needed) is too big for the screw.
14.) Wrench size and screw head size don´t get along
15.) etc.....

I hope, despite my limited knowledge of the English language, you got a little idea, how difficult it can be to install a screw propperly and how many options must be ruled out in order to solve the issue. We call that "Try and error".
In case all the above didn´t help, you are more than welcome to let me know which of the a. m. 3500 screws is unwilling to be mounted. As soon as I get to that one, after starting to build my Leo, I will let you know my approach to the problem.
In the meantime, you can also continue with the remaining 3499 screws and see how they behave. Maybe you might run into a similar problem somewhere down the line...
Hope that helped! :D

Enjoy your build and pls post some pics. :D

Cheers

Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Martin Donnison

Hi Peter,
The screw in question is a M8 hex and it fits into the bogie housing. I tried last night without success. Before I get my drill out I thought I would ask. I says to fit this bold in the hole first then fit the bogie. Doesn’t seem to be enough room.
Attachments
IMG_3995.jpeg
IMG_3997.jpeg

Peter Quambusch
Been liked: 871 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Hi Martin, could you post a pic of the corresponding manual, so I get an idea how it´s supposed to look when asembled? Thanks. Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3149 times

Post by Armortek »

I can see the mistake - on our model we have used M4x6 hex for that position - but in the kit we have provided M4x8 hex.
The M4x8 is just a bit too long.

You can either file down the bolt so it fits or wait until we send out the correct fasteners.
Armortek

Martin Donnison

Don’t worry about sending new bolts. Thought I was going mad. Thank you guys.

David Merritt
Been liked: 32 times

Post by David Merritt »

Hi Martin,

In the instruction manual it does ask ghat you insert the M4x8 hex bolt before fitting CV0201. This should overcome your problem.

Regards
David

JesseGuthritsch
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by JesseGuthritsch »

I had the same trouble last night. In my hastyness I took the 8mm hex bolts over to the grinder and ground them down to 6mm and then they fit just fine.

I would post a picture but my phone never let's me post pictures to this forum for some reason.

Martin Donnison

Hi, are you following the build page by page. ?

Martin Donnison

David Merritt wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 pm
Hi Martin,

In the instruction manual it does ask ghat you insert the M4x8 hex bolt before fitting CV0201. This should overcome your problem.

Regards
David
Hi David, it’s fine now the bolts were simply to lone. One good hacksaw and problem solved.

Martin Donnison

David Merritt wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 pm
Hi Martin,

Regards
David
Hi David, it’s fine now the bolts were simply to lone. One good hacksaw and problem solved.

David Merritt
Been liked: 32 times

Post by David Merritt »

Hi Martin,
I will be watching this forum with intense interest as this is the first large tank I have attempted to build and effectively these models are all second generation prototypes.
Having looked at the forums on other builds there is a wealth of information to be gleaned from them and pitfalls to be avoided.
I suspect it will take me the best part of a year to get it anywhere near a state of completion due to other unavoidable commitments.
I am looking forward to the challenge.

Kristoffer Persson
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Kristoffer Persson »

Im at that spot too and for me i can change to the smaller x6 hex. Problem is that i was only provided with 2 of those (+1 extra) and I think 14 is needed. So gonna wait with that part until i order more from armortek or i grind down the x8 (just afraid i would need those later).

Anyway im having a blast with this kit. My first one from armortek and this size.