New owner of a Chieftain

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
Clive Armitage
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times

New owner of a Chieftain

Post by Clive Armitage »

Hi, everybody. Looking forward to benefiting from your experience. I couldn't afford the kit when it came out. However, I am now the proud owner of a assembled chieftain.
It Has been built very well .However it's going in the workshop For a partial strip down and A new colour scheme . Also a couple of other ideas. I will share soon thank you .

Chris.Marshall
Been liked: 22 times

Re: New owner of a Chieftain

Post by Chris.Marshall »

Welcome aboard ! I'm doing an early Tiger 1 - Want a Challenger 2 some day. There are lots of really good Chieftain folk on here 8)

Chris.
Tiger 1 Early - (Kit42) - Still boxed.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1714 times

Post by John Clarke »

Welcome to the Clan.
Looking forward to seeing another Chieftain on the block and to see what you do with it. 8)
This is certainly the place to be for advice and any advice you can offer will be warmly received by all.
So few Chieftains are seen running, so any pictures or clips will be welcome. :mrgreen:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Steve Cope
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi Clive

Welcome to the group, I purchased the Chieftain prototype a few months ago, which I have stripped to paint, now starting to assemble and install the additional motion,smoke, and recoil packs

Hope to here how you are getting on.

Enjoy

Steve

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Thanks for the warm welcome l will put som photos on soon . Working on the tracks at the moment.

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Hopefully, I'm going to be able to post some photographs and video with this message.
I have spent a great deal of time today Reading this thread and what a great resource it's going to be.
I am in Crewe Cheshire is there anyone close to me.
17284251290505383054493874646911.jpg

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Nice interesting colour Scheme Clive. Is this the before or after? I notice there's a lot of detail parts fitted.
BTW unless you already know, the MRS shroud at the end of the barrel is the wrong way round, nice detail on it though. 8)

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Thank you John . The paint is the first owners I am going for Berlin urban so striping down for paint.
Thanks re the barrel I have a lot to learn and a long list of things for Christmas.
I HOPE not to upset anyone as it never happened it's going to tow a giant viper trailer. More to follow.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 688 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Clive
Welcome to the Chieftain tank owners club, there’s a small but dedicated group of Chieftain builders who are all willing to give advice and guidance if needed. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.
I may be your nearest Chieftain builder as I live in Cheadle Hulme which is near Manchester Airport.
Regards
Steve

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Thanks Steve you are less than a hr from me good to here from you

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Photograph of the tank the day it Arrived , I have being stripping any parts I can In between reading all the posts on here , the quality of your workmanship is amazing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20241010_195025_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20241010_195025_WhatsApp.jpg (315.74 KiB) Viewed 319 times

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

On my phone the colouring looks Sand/light stone and Nato green but on the lap top it looks Sand/light stone and Brown which is why I thought it was an interesting colour scheme. Which is it? lighting in garages can change aspects.
Certainly the original builder has spent a lot of time detailing, nice to see a Armorpax detailed Cupola with MG too. Certainly doesn't look like it's not had too much use. Did it come with R/C everything?
I have sent you a PM about the Extinguisher handles, I have to check email junk notifications as the messages usually end up there.

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

Hi John I need to look in junk thanks . It had never left the shed it was built in and was very tight getting it out .Full remote control.
I have received a recoil kit to day . I will try to find the paint code for you.
The more I look the more I find to do which it why I bought it. I will be reaching out for advice soon hopefully that's OK Clive

Clive Armitage

Post by Clive Armitage »

b960e2f9-f33b-4737-88f2-d64cafb28a9a.jpg

Clive Armitage

Reverse engineering the turret

Post by Clive Armitage »

After a considerable amount of reading And Advice from members I have started to deal with the problems on the turret it is machined off center and the rear assembly is hopelessly out of line I've corrected that however did not want to use filler so I reverted to a very old fashioned lead loading to fill the gaps.
Started with the hot air gun to get everything warm then used the gas blower lamp to run the bead.
Gap
Gap
Appropriate mask and PPE was used.
Fist fill
Fist fill
It has completely filled the gap and is now waiting for final finishing very pleased with the results
Attachments
20241022_130251.jpg
20241022_122931.jpg