New to me

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1018 times

Re: New to me

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I'm just scratching the surface working on the dashboard. Why did we (U.S.) have to put so many darn data plates on the dash??!

I've been casting about for either good photos with which to make decals or photo etch bit with but so far to no avail.

I was given the name of a chap who makes all manner of full size reproduction data plates for various vehicles including the US half tracks.
I've attempted to reach out to him to see what he could recommend but as I've heard nothing I fear that will be a dead end and my
search will continue. I'm trying hard to resit buying the costly Peddinghaus decals as there's the cost and that there's only, for me, too few usable decals.

Looking at images online I can see that the volt meter mounted to the dash appears to be a type that I've come to accept as common for WWII.
My later father being a real dyed_in_the_wool electronics wizard and amateur radioman (HAM) had an enormous collection of bit, parts and meters from that period. Somewhere buried in my shed is a large box of these things and I have a few 'loose' ones kicking around my shop. There's a few more in power supplies and other gadgets my dad built that I still use. It was pretty common for my dad to alter these meters to serve his purpose and I even recall him repainting the dials to suit.

I happened to pick up an example of an 'AC Volts' meter of the type and took an photo of it. By the time I shrunk the image to 1/6 and printed it you can see that there is a a dial scale but it's unreadable. I'm certain I have a meter with an actual DC Volts dial face but I'm too lazy to look for it and still when shrunk no one would be able to tell. Still this one should serve the purpose.

So I'll do what I'm able and move forward.

Jerry
Attachments
shrunk to 1/6, though you can't tell
shrunk to 1/6, though you can't tell
tiny meter.jpg (11.97 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Full sized although again you can't tell.
Full sized although again you can't tell.
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!